New Slides: First Ascents and Naming

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 3405 New slide on Basin's Shoreys-Short-Cut side

View attachment 3406 Saddleback and Gothics

View attachment 3407 Upper and Lower Woljaws, both have new slides on several sides, Lower 2 and Upper 3!

View attachment 3408 Upper Woljaw AMR side.

Many of the new slides are very long, the one LWJ goes all the way into Johns Brook, the new one on Wright goes almost all the way to Marcy Dam, the not quite new but greatly enlarge one on Algonquin snowfields (facing Wright) goes almost all the way to Marcy Brook, likely not very far from the Avalanche Lean-to site, etc. There is a new one on Dix that is above the Unter Pass Trail, thre is a new one on Colvin, just about facing the Nippletop slide, there is a new (maybe bigger) on Algonquin that runds towards Little Algonquin, etc. Baccountry skiers probably just can't wait for the first snowfall....

Last edited:
Very true Jack.

PUMA did you get permission to go in? I sure hope so! If not you are definitely setting a bad example for hikers who are suppose to be responsible. Along with that setting himself up for that 15 days in jail. Don't you know the DEC rangers watch this website for trail conditions and other activity in the mountains. I would walk on glass.

No, no, no ... it wasn't me. Just passing information along. I'm as legal eagle as it gets. ;)

Didn't think it looked like you, and didn't seem to me like you were that kind of hiker. I was kind of shocked and reacted a little strong, but I've heard it from customers all week that also don't have the common sense to go elsewhere and all that scares them off is the fine.

This kind of stuff pisses me off. It's friggin' dangerous to be out there. Not only is it is dangerous to the climber, but the rangers as well. If the climber gets hurt, the rangers and SAR teams need to go out after them, risking their lives to save the fool as well. People like this don't think of stuff like that and if I were working for the DEC I would throw the book at them.

Even if the guy went out before the official closure, it's just not smart thinking - for a picture and bragging rights.

Sorry for the rant, that's all I have to say. "Good night and good luck"

Before we all start chucking stones and spears we all might want to do our research first. A simple google search of the Photographer's name will lead to his Home page and Blog. If I am mistaken I stand corrected but I believe he (The Photographer) is an employee of the ADK and is and has been working in conjunction with the DEC. I also believe he was caretaking at John's Brook Lodge with the other individual in the photos at the time when Irene was approaching. Let's be happy some one was around to button down the hatches and had the cahunaas to be around in that area during and after the storm so we all might have a chance of going forward to be able to use this area again.

So, they're building a trail up the slide.

I think you missed my concern - the fact he put others in danger as well as himself and whomever else was with him was my point. If he was doing recon work for the ADK, I apologize for my misunderstanding. I also do appreciate all they do to get the trails back into shape. However, I would hope all that read this see the dangers of climbing a fresh slide and understand them. Older slides have dangers in themselves but new ones are even more risky. Then the fact that many roads were out to the trail heads, that would have delayed and increased the risk of rescue in the event of an unforeseen injury.

I'm not here to argue, I just wanted to make a point and send home the facts about the dangers of new slides. I meant no offense, but sometimes to get a point across you need to be a little brass. I don't like arguing or drama I just don't like to see innocent people get hurt by taking unnecessary chances. Enjoy the rest of the summer and be safe out there.

Brendan (the photographer) is a good friend of mine. He is indeed an employee of the ADK and was working at the Loj when the Hurricane hit. If you look through his photos, you'll see quite a few where he (and the other caretaker) are working to repair the damage done to the trails by Irene. He is extremely knowledgeable and skilled in the backcountry.

Would be cool if someone stepped up and took credit for the first ascent of the new slide on Wright. It was climbed by Explorer Edition over the weekend and myself on Tuesday but neither of us was the first. The name "Angle Slide" was suggested in the Adirondack Explorer article ... a nice compliment to the neighboring "Angel Slide."

Lots of outlets to post up if you think you were the first to ascend the slide.

The name "Angle Slide" was suggested in the Adirondack Explorer article ... a nice compliment to the neighboring "Angel Slide.".
Great, I can't wait for the "which one did you say" right after I say it everytime reply! ;) I think something associated with the Angel which is well known would be fun though, "stairway to heaven" esque? Maybe one like "the right path" for the whole way to heaven thing and because it is right of the old slides..and you would write it, "The Wright Path slide". Maybe I should have a few drinks and think of ones I can't post online too.
Lots of outlets to post up if you think you were the first to ascend the slide
You should post that on the threads over at ADKhighpeaks which is the biggest source of High peak info. I know many who post there and don't look here because they feel it is all New England info.

Last edited:
You should post that on the threads over at ADKhighpeaks which is the biggest source of High peak info. I know many who post there and don't look hear because they feel it is all New England info.

Um, yeah, about that, I'm not exactly welcome over there anymore. What would hiking/climbing be without a little forum drama? :eek:

Anyway, I've been regularly checking the TRs over there since Irene as well as pretty much anywhere else I can think of. Heck, if someone wants to send me an email ( [email protected] ) with a link to his/her personal website/forum gallery or whatever, I'll post the information here.

Of course, it will probably ultimately be up to Drew Haas (assuming an updated slide guide is forthcoming) as to whether or not any of these new names stick.

Adirondack Slide Guide