new to upsate ny.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casey_casey

Reaction score
I recently moved to upsate NY from living in montana for the past year or so. I don't know the area very well, but i live north of Albany and am looking for some good 2-7 day hikes around here or even in VT anywhere. If anyone could help me out that would be great. my email address is [email protected]
thanks.
-Casey

A couple resources I'll point you to are:

The Adirondack Mt Club has a series of trail guides, here is a link to the High Peaks guide: http://www.adk.org/new_store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GHP

Barbara McMartin trail guides also are a great source of info.

Beyond that this board is a great source of info as well. What type of hikes you looking for ? Climbing, flat, lake country, etc...

Welcome to NY and to VFTT, Casey. Albany's my hometown, and I always liked that it was sort of central to a lot of NY State and the Northeast. You're easily within dayhike range of the Adirondacks, the Catskills, the Shawangunks, Vermont, and Massachusettes, and a day's drive or less from New Hampshire and Maine. A couple places for nice easy walks right near Albany are John Boyd Thatcher Park and Five Rivers Preserve.
As RDL points out, you came to the right place w/ this board. As you learn more about the area and make your questions more specific, you'll have almost limitless outdoors options. There's some other good websites listed in the Links section. The NY State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) is even a source of good, if very limited, information.
If you're looking for a place to buy maps and trail books, try the Book House and EMS, both in Albany's Stuvesant Plaza. (I have no financial connection or interest in either store, etc., etc.) Enjoy!

Matt

Welcome to NYS

Lots of great hiking and camping. In fact, alot of people from the western US are surprised by what we got here in NYS.

Barbara McMartin is one of the greatest resources to look in to. She decribes the Adirondack Park in her series of books.

One of my favorite long stretches of trail is the Northville/Placid trail. It is over a hundred miles of wilderness hiking through mountain valleys and along streams and around lakes, but not over mountains. One of the terminus' is the town of Lake Placid in the northern Adirondacks. There are places to resupple along the way and points od departure, so you can make this backpack shorter or longer. Alot of people thru-hike this in a 7-10 day backpack, and resupple at Long Lake. The western Adiroandacks has many miles of trail wher you wil see few people.

For a more mountainous trip- the Great Range is popular. Or hike from Heart Lake to Keene Valley. Or fromUpper Works to Heart Lake.Or how About Heart Lake to Moose Lake? Lots of Mountains to cross.

There is alot to explore. Good luck

WELCOME TO THE NORTHEAST!

You will love it here. If you are the outdoors type it wont be long before you fall in love with the Adirondack Park, it has away of getting deep into your soul..you might curse the trails from the start but its well worth it. I advise starting with something like Giant, Cascade or Noonmark..great intro to the High Peaks area.

If you get the chance make the trip to New Hampshire, your first trip to Franconia or any of the notches will be magical on the right day.

Adirondack Trails

oops- I meant the write Elk Lake for Moose Lake. Got my ungulates confused. :D