New York Highest 100

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdavis

Reaction score
Can someone point me in the right direction to find out what mountains are required for the NY highest 100. I can't seem to find anything about it on the web, although I can find the NH top 100 and the NE 100. I need a new list to work on.

Thanks

In the back of all the ADK Guide Books there is a list of the 100 Highest in the Adirondack Park...thats the only thing I know of.

peace
Oysterhead

ADK100 - Recognition or not?

There is no patch or recognition for it at this time. A number of us have either done the ADK100 or chipping away at them(I'm in the latter category).

peak_bgr (spelled similar to my handle) has done a whole bunch of them. He and I have been discussing, on and off, formalizing this a little more. There are folks who are in favor of a patch and climbing number, many who are neutral, and a vocal group of experienced hikers who have done them and want NO further encouragement or recognition. A good number of the peaks are on private land. Some hikers have the connections or do the legwork to obtain permission for these. Others do them by stealth.

Back before the Board required registration before you could post messages, there were some wild threads on the subject.
In the meantime, if you are interested in doing ADK100 peaks, pls PM me with your email address. We have a few on the drawing board for this summer.

First is a statement of the obvious ... New York's Highest Hundred would be quite a different list from the Adirondack Highest 100 as several Catskill peaks would be thrown into the mix ... Slide, Hunter, the Three Sisters, Doubletop to name just a few. That said, I'm very certain that I saw an ADK 100 Highest Decal on a car in a mall parking lot this past winter. My wife and I even had a conversation about it with her asking me if that was anywhere in my list of plans (it's not). I have no idea if anyone has organized an unofficial Highest Hundred Club out there but at least one person is driving around with a decal on his/her car.

Well I guess I'm interested in both. Which is the one that Tom Haskins and Pin Pin finished a couple of winters ago? I guess I figured that the ADK top 100 was the New York top 100.

But I'm also in the Catskill 3500 club, so maybe I could get the state top 100, faster.

Mark,

It could have been an AMC decal, maybe the NE100?

So far as I'm aware, no one has gotten to the point of organizing an ADK100 Club, recognition.
As mentioned, peak_bgr and I have been talking about getting this rolling, and when we get out hiking together this summer, I'm hoping we'll flesh it out a little more.
I already mentioned that a lot of flack will head in the organizers' direction as many of the peaks are seldomly visited with little sign of human activity.

Peakbagr

The NE 100 highest have a sticker and patch. That could be what you saw on the car. I have never seen or heard of any club. I have reserched it very heavily.

Also, as Alan has mentioned we have put the idea in the mix and could be a possibility in the future. That was the main reason I reserched it so much.

If someone knows otherwise please let us know.

mdavis-- if your are interested in the ADK 100 please do get in touch with us. It's no fun getting torn to shreads alone, ya know what I mean.

peak_bgr said:
The NE 100 highest have a sticker and patch. That could be what you saw on the car.
To the best of my knowledge neither the NE nor the NH 100 highest offer a car decal. So the observed decal was either an optical illusion or a home made one.

I believe Pin Pin may have a "custom" ADK hundred highest decal on his car. I think he also has a 46X46 as well.

The NY 100 highest list is easy to make from the High Peaks and Catskills Guides, for each has the regions hundred highest listed in the appendices. I don't have my Catskill guide but I think the list would be about a 75/25 ratio.

No doubt that it could have been a homemade or custom decal, but it was pretty obvious what it was ... "ADK 100." I believe it was next to a winter 46R decal ... for what it's worth, the car I saw it on was at Clifton Park Center. Just curious, does anyone know about how many folks have finished the Adirondack Highest Hundred?

Last edited:
It would be nice if someone went through both the ADK 100 highest and the Catskill lists and combined them to make a semi official NY 150 highest list.

After all, we're NY'ers - the Empire state, aren't we? We HAVE to do things bigger and better!

Last edited:
Any chance there's a peak somewhere in New York NOT in the Adirondacks or Catskills that would make the list? Just wondering. I assume the cutoff would be in the low 3000s. Anything out there above 3000' other than these 2 areas?

Pb

To the best of my knowledge, all of the peaks in NY that are 3000 feet or higher are within the Catskills or Adirondacks. For those of you with long range climbing aspirations, there is the Northeast 770 (+/-) 3000 footer list. There is a patch available for completion.

Definitely not, Papa Bear. Outside of the Adirondacks and Catskills, the only "mountainous" areas in New York are the Taconics, which top out in the low to mid 2000s, and the Shawangunks, which I don't believe even reach 2000. There are no irregular "Monadnocks" anywhere in the state that I know of. Also, upon closer review, ALL 35 of the Catskill 3500 Club Peaks would be included in the list of New York's Highest Hundred plus presumably a few other Catskill peaks. According to my High Peaks Region guide (1992) edition, the lowest of the ADK 100 would be Unnamed Peak (Brown Pond) near Indian Lake at 3425 feet. At #89 by rank, Little Santanoni Mt at 3500 feet even would be the last of the ADK 100 at 3500 or greater.

CORRECTION - 5/19 - The above is obviously a very good example of very bad math and very bad logic. About 3 hours after posting, I was doing something else, stopped in my tracks and thought ... What the heck was I thinking? Mr. Oysterhead has it right in the post below. 24 Catskill peaks (not 35-plus) would be on the list. I could have just edited out my bad math, but that would just be lame.

Last edited:
mdavis and anyone else who is interested - I compiled a list (which I believe is accurate) of the New York 100 Highest. It actually contains 101 Mountains because the lowest three (Calamity and Little Moose in the ADK and Fir in the Catskills) all have a listed elevation of 3620' and I didn't want anyone feeling left out :)

It contains all 46 ADK High Peaks, 24 of the Catskill 35ers, MacNaughton, and 30 other ADK Peaks between 3620' and 3999'.

If anyone wants a copy of the list (its on Excel), PM me.

peace,
Oysterhead

Peaks not on list worth climbing

1. Ashokan High Point
2. Overlook Mt.
2. Schunemunk Mt.
3. Mt. Beacon
4. Mt. Sugarloaf
5. Storm King
6. Anthonys Nose
7. Ninham Mt.
7. lots of other stuff in Harriman/Hudson Valley etc.

Many of these peaks make up in views what they lack in the height department and would make the 100 nicest hikes in NY list if anyone cared to compile one. Of course that list would be completely arbitrary but so are some of the finer things in life. There are lots of similar peaks in the ADK's with amazing attributes but I'd rather someone from up there list those.

ADK 100 Winter Patch

PinPin and I completed the ADK top 100 in the winter of '02. I actually climbed all the "lower 54" plus 36 of the top 46 in that winter. Since I was already a winter 46er I didn't need the top 46 to complete the winter 100, but I made a dedicated effort to do so and fell just a bit short. PinPin not only climbed all 100 that winter, but also went on to climb the next 20, for a total of 120 in a single winter. Interestingly, I was following the "ADK" 100 list, and PinPin was following what I refer to as the "Swanson" list. There are some differences, due primarily to different criteria for qualification as a unique summit. Both PinPin and I finished on Wakely Mtn, I the ADK 100 and PinPin the Swanson 100. After he completed the next 20 he had also completed the ADK 100 list.

In any case, I designed and made up a bunch of vinyl stickers, and gave some to PinPin. He has one on his car. I have one on each of my three vehicles, and all of these vehicles have been in Clifton Park on many occasions.
If anyone completes the ADK Winter 100, let me know and I will send you a sticker :) I am also considering designing a regular ADK 100 sticker and an ADK 100 Four Seasons sticker, as these goals are now in my sights.

Status
Not open for further replies.