nEW

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twbanter

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, and to hiking (profesionally, lol) it'self. I was turned on to this site by a new friend of mine who recomended it. She did so because she felt that I'd get some guidance here, and find some everlasting friendships in the hiking community here.
Was she right?
I moved up here with my brother who would die if he did a mile. I'm desperately seeking some hiking companionship, or just advise. Can anyone help me here? I also have no transportation and I need some help there, though I'm willing to hike my ass to a meeting place, I'd prefer to not be wiped out at the start of a climb, if you know what I mean.
Anyway, I feel as though I'm throwing straw into the air, unless this hiking community is more substantialy generous then one would imagine. Yet IMAGINATION is the pretty much the root of all adventure, is it not?

Signed,

Desperate for help, and friends

Tom

Welcome to VFTT Tom! Lots of great people here. Are you in New Hampshire? If you check out "Trips and Events" on this site, you may be able to get a ride to hike in the Whites. You can also post a message asking for a ride if anybody is passing by your general area.

Watch for a "Gathering" that may be in your region. VFTT'rs get together now a couple times a year to hike in various areas, like the Adirondacks (August), Catskills (this September), and in the Whites.
I'm an Adirondack hiker, so if you're in New Hampshire, maybe somebody will help you out there. Maybe you could tell us a little more about your outdoor experience and your hiking goals. It's too bad that the lack of a car makes it so hard to participate in activities such as this. Good luck. -ALG

Hey, Tom, welcome aboard! I'll follow-up to AlG with a couple other thoughts. First off, know that there is a great deal of knowledge and experience from contributors on this board and that the board limits it's interest to hiking and related activities in the North-East. You can find trip reports submitted by the hikers themselves, organized by state (see trail conditions). You can learn a lot by just reading these, and if you see some that describe a trail that you would consider, I'd suggest that you begin an archive file to store such reports (I have a folder labeled Trail Reports and I cut and past blurbs and store by name of Mtn/hike.)

We are all different kinds of hikers here. Some are Peakbaggers, many aim to complete mountains on a list, others hike for the enjoyment of being out and in the woods/mtns and still others like to find things, follow trails, find flowers, see wildlife, etc. It would be insightful for you to share with us what you think you'd like to accomplish while hiking.

You may also have to find a way to get to a trailhead yourself and jockey up some expeience. That way, you'll know more about your preference and we'll get to know you better while guiding you and hearing back about your experience. One of the common ways is to link up with a hiking club in your community. They offer evening programs and organize outings. An AMC chapter would be one example.

This site also lists links to other great resources (see Home page). Many are specific to one area and others are a clearinghouse of information. Together you will build a level of knowledge that will make you a safer and more informed hiker. Both of those atributes should be your ongoing goal!

About that brother of yours... he just doesn't know what he is missing!! As you find out more stuff about hiking, keep him in the loop and I bet you can light a fire of desire in him. I'm really serious about this, too. Don't blow him off. This stuff about hiking mountains, putting yourself on the line, calculating risks and finally having DONE IT is pretty awesome. Like you can't wait to do it again. That is gets better days after you've done it!

Lastly, take your time here. You're new to the neighborhood and we need to "feel you out" for a short while. Don't be afraid to start small, if not even local (there's probably stuff around you). Many of us know that there are Dorks out there that think they have to go out and climb Mt. Washington to be a backpacker when they (a) shouldn't have been there in the first place, (b) were ill-prepared (c) didn't know what they were getting into and (d) possibly ruined part of a day for others... (BTW, if you ask questions about cell phones, dogs or mountain top protocol, you'll be sorry you did... or I will, at any rate!)

Those "Gatherings" that AlG mentioned, they also have an urban version where VFTT'rs gather to meet, (sigh) drink beer and socially talk/plan hiking adventure (watch trips forum).

So, what did you really have in mind, Tom? What's the fire in you want to scorch, singe or blister?

still new

Thank you AIG, and Bubba,
Yes I'm aware of how cautious one has to be with new people. I appreciate you guys taking a chance with me, I need all the help I can get. AIG, I hope to get to the Adirondacks myself one day, but there's plenty of learning to do first, and I know I can get that here. My whole backyard's one big hike!
Thanks for the info Bubba. I will be surfing this site with hopes to find out more about hiking in general, and the people involved here.
As for me; I started walking about 12 years ago, just to get in shape. I would walk the same old routes in Westford MA, every time. I also would ride a bike for the same reason. When I seperated from my wife, I had no where else to go, so I moved way up here in Campton with my brother. I continue to work out (not a weight lifter kind of thing, just staying somewhat in shape) and walk and ride around this neighborhood. Again walking on the roads is very boring. I started going up the snowmobile trails, and I was hooked! Now THIS was intriguing. Animal tracks, views, streams, woods, and no stenchy CARS! I enjoy the adventure of following tracks, picking out a spot I'll see from the road, and actually getting there, or just the solitude of drifting through nature. My walks have now become conquests! But I now know almost every branch along these trails, and I yearn for new places to see. That is why I'm seeking out others in the know. That's also why I need advise. I went out and bought a backpack, good hiking boots, and some misc. stuff like a compass and first aid kit, flashlight that sort of stuff. I have very little mountain experience though. Just the local trails. I am not interested in Mt Washington, (just yet!) but I hope to do the entire AT some day. I realize that that day is quite a way off. It's just a dream now. But no harm in working towards it right?
Anywho, thanks again.

Oh yea, you're hooked and it only gets better.

The one thought that comes to mind is that you should buy yourself a trail guide(s) for the area(s) that you might be interested in hiking. These are available at any reasonably stocked outdoor store. Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) has one for many regions and states, including the White Mtns and other surrounding areas, the Long Trail and other trails in Vermont are published by the Green Mountain Club and Adirondack Mountains are published by Adirondack Mtn Club (ADK, for whatever reason those initials). Refer to web sites:
AMC - outdoors.org
GMC - greenmountainclub.org
ADK - ADK.org

Stay in touch!

Welcome to VFTT. Have you found yourself checking back everyday yet. Or twice a day. What? More?

The great way to meet a bunch of hiker junkies is to go to a gathering, just keep checking back to the events page. As Al has mentioned. August is the ADKS and September is the Catskills. But there always seems to be smaller get togethers quite often. Even if it's just a beer at a local tavern.