NH 200 highest in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerDoc

Reaction score
There are all kinds of winter hikers. There are those who like to get out in the woods once in awhile to test themselves against the elements and see the mountains in winter. There are those who set goals such as climbing the 48 highest mountains in NH. This is an admirable accomplishment, a test of hiking skills and fortitude when done in the winter. Some hardy souls push ahead and climb the 100 highest mountains in NH, partly because they are extremely fit, want the challenge of going off trail, and love the winter outdoors. Very few decide that 100 peaks are not enough and decide to climb all of the mountains in NH 3000'. There are 175 peaks in NH that are over 3000' and have 200' cols between them and the nearest peak. Many of these mountains are very remote and very few have anything like a trail. Lots of hikers have done this feat in non winter conditions. Only a few determined people have attempted this in winter. Then there are Snowleopard and myself. We finished climbing the NH 3000' peaks 2 winters ago and can't stop because we love it so much. How about climbing the 200 highest peaks? We had done it 3-season so we knew where they were. How will we get in to some of them when logging roads are closed, etc? On Feb. 14 and 15, Mapguy, Snowleopard, and myself climbed 4 remote peaks in Pittsburg. We got to cross the Fourth Connecticut Lake on snowshoes (possibly the first to do this?) and got to step over the border from USA to Canada several times. We have now climbed 199/200 highest peaks in NH in winter. Thursday March 4 we plan to finish this list on Howe Peak in Shelburne. We are meeting at the Shelburne trailhead at 8:30 am. Stinkyfeet, hiker.ed, and about 6-7 others will be with us. You are welcome to join us also. See ya and have a great hike!

Good luck - this sounds like a wonderful accomplishment!

If it weren't for the employer, I'd be there.
:)

I am forever grateful that these two talked me into hiking the Percy Peaks with them a few winters ago, as I might have skipped them otherwise. Just promise me that Howe Peak will be a better summit than the Wolf Cub! Hope to be there.

I was in Lincoln today visiting Steve Smith at The Mountain Wanderer when he reminded me that, almost certainly, we will have another major achievement to celebrate today:
HikerDoc said:
Thursday March 4 we plan to finish this list on Howe Peak in Shelburne. We are meeting at the Shelburne trailhead at 8:30 am. Stinkyfeet, hiker.ed, and about 6-7 others will be with us. You are welcome to join us also. See ya and have a great hike!
What a productive winter this has been for record breakers in our mountains!

I also learned who HikerDoc is (I had suspected it from the start) but will keep the secret until he owns up!

OH YEAH! hiker.ed, stinkyfeet, Dr. Dasypodiae, Snowleopard, Carl R., Creston R., Dorothy C., and myself, with Jim B. in support, bagged Howe Peak 2966'. 200/200 NH highest in winter for Snowleopard and myself. It doesn't get better than this. SEE YA.

HikerDoc said:
200/200 NH highest in winter for Snowleopard and myself.
Congratulations to both of you on a major achievement! There are enough remote peaks on even the NH 100 highest to make it a difficult list in winter; this is an order of magnitude more difficult, hence more of an achievement.

Is there any reason why nobody is naming names? I do not know the two completers well enough to be comfortable naming them publicly.

Awesome job HikerDoc and Snowleopard! You two are the epitome of determination and perseverance. All those spruce traps sends a shiver down my spine... Both of you are AMC legends and even though your names have not been revealed here (yet), they are likely to soon end up in Mike Dickerman's column :D

Well done!

I found it enjoyable to read about this (and others) accomplishment. What was even more enjoyable was to meet these two (HikerDoc and Snowleopard) on Sat. for a lovely hike and bushwhack. They are both fun to hike with and I’d gladly hike with them again.

Mohammed Elozy wrote "Is there any reason why nobody is naming names? I do not know the two completers well enough to be comfortable naming them publicly."

Ok, I know the two NH 200 Winter completers well enough to name them publicly, as they are both too unassuming to do so themselves. Snowleopoard is Lyn Beattie and HikerDoc is Ed Robertson. So, there.

Lyn Beattie is a retired nurse, married to Jim Beattie, a retired pathologist. Together Lyn and Jim have completed 48 of the 50 state high points and numerous other peak bagging lists. Since Jim underwent hip surgery a few years ago, Lyn has carried on the peak bagging effort with numerous additional winter lists, culminating with the NH 200. They are both on the AMC 4000-footer Club Committee, which requires an extraordinary amount of time maintaining databases of list completers.

Ed Robertson is younger than the Beattie's, is not retired, and still works full time as a neurologist in Massachusetts. Ed has completed the Northeast 113 in winter, among numerous other winter lists.

Besides being dedicated peak baggers, all three of these folks are exceptional human beings. They have provided me much emotional support over the past few years during my efforts to care for an elderly parent with Alzheimers. I greatly value their freindship.

Cheers, Thom Davis

Having slogged through very few winter bushwhacks, I heartily congratulate Lyn and Ed on this accomplishment. Going beyond the winter 48 is admirable, completing the NH 200 is commendable (and a little insane, but this kind of insanity is good!):D