NH F&G in the RED!!!!! Again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Change the parking pass to $30-$35/year; $10 for a week; $5 for a day. Have the state and the Feds split the cost. It doesn't cover all trails, etc. but I figured that would be a way to cover the shortfall.

Negatives to that plan?

1) The FS is already planning to raise the pass to that level and keep all the money so the state would get nothing

2) It would encourage hikers to use non-fee trailheads like Mt Cabot Trail :)

1) The FS is already planning to raise the pass to that level and keep all the money so the state would get nothing

2) It would encourage hikers to use non-fee trailheads like Mt Cabot Trail :)

#1 I was not aware of. I guess raise it more? ugh...

#2 More than today?

The only reason why I am in favor of this plan is that it's a payment system that is already in place for hikers. Trust me...I'm not a fee/tax guy, but I understand the need. But, if there is already a plan to charge hikers, and hikers only, this would be a way to tack onto it.

I don't like taxing gear because I would surmise that over half of the "gear" sold isn't used for hiking per se. It will just turn into a clothing tax, and then that just opens the door to a sales tax. That would never pass in NH.

I have to pay $15 a day to climb at the Gunks in New York (or an annual fee of $90). I'd like to know where my money is going for that.

I don't think that raising the WMNF fees to cover Fish and Game expenses is fair. There is never going to be a completely fair answer except for a world-wide tax to support the "common good." Before everyone gets excited, I'm not suggesting that.

If I know the story correctly, Fish and Game was put in charge of search and rescue because as an agency they have such good knowledge of the rivers and lakes and woodlands of our state. I think this "appointment" came to be after the crash of the DC-3 on Success Mountain in 1954 was located. If Fish and Game is the reasonable group to organize resources for search and rescue, in my opinion they ought to receive funding for it from the state. It's not just hikers using the WMNF who occasionally require their services.

Last edited:
Just received a reply for Col. Garabedian.
He stated that "these same ideas you have stated are some of what we are considering in the future to help fund the program."
I was happy to hear this and to get his reply.
Looking forward to the resolution of this financial issue.

That is an oversimplification and not true.

What do OHRV users 'take'?

What do snowmobilers 'take'?

I am a catch and release fisherman, and fish for non-stocked species. So why should I need a license also.

I'm trying to understand the historical mindset. In theory.

By the way, I wouldn't complain if I paid a couple dollars more for weekly or annual parking and it went for that purpose.

Last edited:
What could we do to help?

Any suggestions?

I really want them to be available to save my sorry bacon if I desperately need them. I would support whatever it took to keep them in the "black".

From my experience I don't think too many inexperienced hikers have any knowledge that Hike Safe exists and what all it entails. Many wander the Whites clueless thinking it's not a big deal. The sun sets and out comes the cell phone.
It's no wonder they are in the "red".

F&G are not fools. They will find a solution and it might not be one we want to live with but here is our opportunity to help make a difference. We could forward suggestions to them with positive input to help solve the problem. There are lots are very intelligent people on VFTT who have a lot to offer. Why not give it a shot?

We could one day find ourselves in a situation when then are suddenly our "new best friend".
Why wait?
I bought a fishing licence this year, even though I doubt I will ever put a line in the water (haven't in over 35 years). You can buy a licence online and print it out.

Just received a reply for Col. Garabedian.
He stated that "these same ideas you have stated are some of what we are considering in the future to help fund the program."

Really great stuff, Maddy! Was there any mention of the decision-makers' awareness of this site's discussion? The (relatively) high level of discourse here makes it a usable tool for them. [Does that make this a self-admiration society or a mutual one?]

I too see bought licenses as contributions against a possible rainy day.

Really great stuff, Maddy! Was there any mention of the decision-makers' awareness of this site's discussion? The (relatively) high level of discourse here makes it a usable tool for them. [Does that make this a self-admiration society or a mutual one?]

I too see bought licenses as contributions against a possible rainy day.

Thanks. I did start my correspondence by saying that I am a member of VFTT (spelled out), and that we discuss this topic frequently. If he had no knowledge of our fine forums, he certainly is aware of them now.

I vote for this being a MUTUAL ADMIRATION SOCIETY.

....and the fishing license is a great idea.