NH Maps?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you're looking for a clickable map with all 48 peaks on it. There are some online but a quick check in the usual places didn't turn one up.

-dave-

here you go

Edit: to see only the 48 (plus some unofficials like Guyot), change the minimum elevation setting (at the bottom) to 4000 feet. I've restricted this view to New Hampshire. You can use it to find mountains anywhere, but it only shows peaks that have been listed on Summitpost. The 48 are all there, and I think the 46 too, and Vermont's 4000ers, but I think Maine is still missing a couple.

Last edited:
king tut said:
I found one. If anyone's interested, here's a link http://www.wilkiesworld.net/hike100.htm

note that this guy or gal links to some of DM's WMS pages but puts them in a frame so they seem like his own. that seems like a no-no.

for what it's worth, I've been working, on and off, on a GIS and .asp based map for all the peaks >3k in the northeast. I'm not sure if I'll ever finish it and if I do, I'm not sure I'll release it (b/c of my previous and frequent curmudgeonly remarks about sharing too much info).

It's a lot of fun to play with, though :D

spencer

spencer said:
note that this guy or gal links to some of DM's WMS pages but puts them in a frame so they seem like his own. that seems like a no-no.

for what it's worth, I've been working, on and off, on a GIS and .asp based map for all the peaks >3k in the northeast. I'm not sure if I'll ever finish it and if I do, I'm not sure I'll release it (b/c of my previous and frequent curmudgeonly remarks about sharing too much info).

It's a lot of fun to play with, though :D

spencer

Interesting. You must be using ESRI software? ArcIMS perhaps? Sounds like a fun project.

spencer said:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm dropping him a line. :)

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm dropping him a line. :)

-dave-

You're nicer than I am. I'd just change the content at that link to something else of my choosing.

VT

Vermonster said:
You're nicer than I am. I'd just change the content at that link to something else of my choosing.
Can't, too many other people link legitimately to those pages.

-dave-

Off topic but about NH maps

I have three old amc guides of NH and NE with maps does anyone collect them

dropack said:
I have three old amc guides of NH and NE with maps does anyone collect them
There's a fairly good sized market for old AMC guides, going back to the earliest editions which go for 100's of dollars. Check with Mike Dickerman at Mountain Wanderer if you are interested in buying or selling. I've got them back to the 60's, but several folks here go much further back than that.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
There's a fairly good sized market for old AMC guides, going back to the earliest editions which go for 100's of dollars. Check with Mike Dickerman at Mountain Wanderer if you are interested in buying or selling. I've got them back to the 60's, but several folks here go much further back than that.

-dave-
Does anyone have Steve's book Wandering Through the White Mountains ? Would you suggest it even to someone who has the AMC guide to the WMNF? A good book which Steve contributed to.

I was thinking of adding this book to my collection, I was just curious to hear from anyone who has already read it.

Thanks.

:)

That book is great, but it's not really a guide book at all, nothing like the AMC Guide. It's mostly essays he wrote about a variety of topics, plus some nitty-gritty details about the Whites.

Another good choice is The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains by Steve and Mike. It's really a how-to guide for hiking the 4000'ers, with a great level of detail about the natural and human history of the peaks. Lots of nuts and bolts details about routes, distances, trailheads, etc.

-dave-

Wandering Through the White Mountains

As Dave says, it is not really a guidebook, but it is a book I enjoyed very much. You may want to read my review, originally published in Appalachia and posted on my site with the editor's permission.