NH State of Emergency (2/26/10)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We lost power Thu. night about 10:30. Just got it back on about 7:00 this evening, just shy of 4 days. Was 45 degrees this morning inside the house, no running water (including flush toilets) and two sick parents. Goffstown looked like a tornado went through it, but I hear Allenstown and Derry really got the snot kicked out of them.

Brian

1:30am today (Wed) the power came on. Around 11pm, the truck went into my driveway and shined a spot light on the house, checking for damage to the lines. Five-plus days. Better than seven in 12/2008... and this time I have a generator and a transfer switch.

Tim

Luck of the draw, Tim. We had two huge pines get blown over (two more were teetering) and crossed the road and took out the lines and a pole.

7:00 am on Friday PSNH was out there. By noon Asplundh was there clearing the trees. 7:00 PM Friday the lines were up, and the pole was righted (albeit tenuously). Power came up by 11:00 the next morning. Yesterday, the town cleaned out all the trees and branches.

I was really impresses, but also realistic that it was just crap luck.

I was 5 days last time for an issue that was nowhere near us.

Luck of the draw.

I was 5 days last time for an issue that was nowhere near us.

That's probably the hardest part. I live in a complex where the lines on the complex itself are buried, so, inevitably, when the power goes out, it's because something on one of the feeder lines went wrong. It's never obvious driving in the immediate area of the complex where the problem is. We were out for 4 days in December 2008 and about 32 hours this time. And, believe me, I realize that we were on the lucky end compared to many.