Non-Dry Rope Treatment?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddogg12

Reaction score
Is it possible to treat a standard non-dry rope with a waterproofing spray like for boots or fabric to help repell water, melting snow etc...? Or could it possibly be dangerous? Any thoughts?

since its such a critcal peice of gear that you really don't want to fail when you need it :eek: - I would suggest calling the maker - my guess is it wouldn't be a wise thing to do based on any opinions on a hiking board.

I would not use regular waterproofing chemicals on climbing rope - the chemicals could possibly damage the rope and make it very unsafe for climbing use. Unless you are a chemical engineer and know the materials used in rope making I wouldn't trust falling on that rope - besides, when ropes freeze their holding strength is lessened.

I thought specific waterproofing chemicals were made for rope - I can't find any right now, so I may be wrong.

What's the rope going to be used for?

Also - all my dry-ropes that came double dry (core and sheath) from the manufacturer still manage to ice up during winter time use. I could only imagine how horribly a non-professional single (sheath only) dried rope would perform.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the waterproofing is applied to the fiber before it is assembled into a rope. No way you can duplicate that at home.

I agree with the other responders--it isn't worth taking the risk that a home-applied waterproofer might weaken the rope.

Doug

Thanks for the responses. I was trying to get an Idea. I can only imagine that I'm not the only one that has ever thought about it. I understand treating the rope with some kind of waterproofing spray for example, may potentially break down the rope, or impact it in a negative way I guess.

I wasn't sure if this was maybe a standard procedure for reviving older dry ropes, or something quick you could do, for the occasional Ice pitch or 2. Since I have been hearing that even dry ropes tend to ice up and/or get wet, I wasn't sure if a dry/double dry rope was without a doubt the best way to go for an all-around 4 season rope for a beginner.

All ropes will ice up under appropriate conditions. The dry ones just ice up less or more slowly. The fuzz that forms on the sheath can also encourage icing.

If you expect to climb only warm dry rock the decision should be easy. If you expect to be out in wet or freezing conditions or on ice or snow, then a dry rope will be easier to handle.

Its been a while since I bought a rope, but IIRC the dry ones are more expensive. I guess that you will just have to take your best guess. When I bought a single rope for all uses (4 season), I bought a dry rope.

Doug

I've used Nikwax products on my gore-tex jacket and rain pants and even on my boots. I have never put any chemicals near my ropes. Some rope manufacures say that their ropes can be cleaned with a mild soap in the tub and then rinsed very well. I have never tried this either.

I try to keep my ropes out of too much dirt, although this can be tough. I recently retired the only non-"dry rope" I own and now only use dry ropes. Basically I bought my first dry rope after I started ice climbing and experiencing the frozen cord a few times. I will save my newest "dry ropes" for ice climbing and my older "dry ropes" I will use for rock climbing as well. I make sure all my ropes are in good shape.

You can find reasonable deals on dry ropes if you look around.