Noonmark (that’s right, Noonmark)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
Since last year, We’ve been spending quite a bit time b-whacking ADK lesser peaks, HH and doing some other things outside of the “big dogs” where we spend so many enjoyable days (and nights). I’m enjoying it greatly, but it’s a different kind of “hiking”. Things don’t come as easy and it can be a struggle at times. My recent memory is clouded with thoughts of swimming up “Little Santanoni” in an all day driving rain. There was also a Siege at “Mount Stewart”, and then begging forgiveness for and INADVERTANT stroll on (well……. It really don’t matter where does it). I could go on, but you get the point.

Today, we had a few hours to kill, so we decided to hit up Noonmark. It seems hard to believe, but I’ve climbed over 80 different peaks (some pretty obscure ones too) in the last 7 years, and never have I climbed this “mandatory” ADK kid climb. We arrived at the trailhead at just before 11 AM (another novelty) and headed out.

Damn, this little sucker is steep. Well 1:25 hours later (2.5 miles, 2150’), we topped out. As I stood on this rocky outcropping gazing at the vast panorama around me, I could feel my heart swell. The feeling is hard to describe. Its like when you’ve been away much to long, and you finally come home, and everything just feels right. That was it. My old friends surrounded me. Dix, Giant, RPR, Dial, Nippletop, the entire Great Range and even Allen. The weather was perfect and it was just an overwhelmingly wonderful moment. It was a great way to refresh why we (my family and I) spend so much of our time, money and effort getting up here. The Adirondacks are OUR HOME.

In another odd sense, it justifies pushing through cripplebrush, negotiating precipitous cliffs, falling though femur eating hidden root holes and standing in the middle of a thick stand of spruce and wondering “is this really the summit”. You never know when the trees will open up and the world will be before you. So now I’m ready and refreshed to head back into the Sentinels, Sawteeths and Fishing Brook Ranges for the next batch untrammeled peaks..

My point is, I’ve strolled away a bit and done some different things. It’s what I wanted to do and I’m happy, but today just served to remind me that my old friends are still right there, waiting for me to return. Those are friends you’ll have forever and that makes me feel good. After longer than we had planned, we turned around and headed down, confident in the knowledge that life is good in our world. It took us an hour to reach the car

Now, we’re off to Maine and a date with Katahdin. Our friends will be waiting back here in NY, we known it. Ohhhhh yeah, we saw an eagle on Noonmark too. Thanks for indulging me for this hippish, free spirit trip report. :D

Isn't noonmark a gem? The rock climbs on top are fun to boot... I gotta get back up there this summer. Greatt TR. I feel the same way. In fact, I even got the urge to make adkclimbs.com since I love them so much. Speaking of which, I'll take a perfect opportunity to invite all rock and ice folks over there, and you too Mavs. I have a section for slide climbs and I know you have done some :)

Cheers,
--chrix

I share your affection for this fine little peak, Mavs - it was the first "snowshoe date" with my girlfriend Elisabeth right after I met her (who is now my wife). She freaked a bit on some of the steeps, but we had a great time. Thanks for the reminder :)

I took my kids up a month ago on an overcast day, the cloud level obscurred some ot the summits but a few were open. It was a very nice hike and my kids loved the rock climb on top.The mountain seems to in the right place to see a lot of the high peaks.
Al

I finally got around to climbing Noonmark this weekend after years of saying "I have to get up there some day" while driving through Keene Valley. Best little hike in the ADKs!!! Terrific views, rocky summit, steep climbing all packed into 2 miles.

It has become my favorite ADK peak

Noonmark was the first ADK peak I did after completing the 46. Why did I wait so long?:confused::eek: It has become the ADK peak that I have reclimbed more times than any other ADK peak. I think the views along the Stimson Trail rival the views on the summit. I especially like the glacial erratic which makes a nice foreground to the views of the Great Range.

A great fall foliage hike is to go up the Stimson Trail for the morning views of the Great Range. Then down the Felix Adler trail and over to Round Mountain for the afternoon views of Giant. It is not a long or difficult loop hike, but it can take a good part of a very relaxing day as you soak in and photograph all of the great views.

I have a love-hate relationship with Noonmark. It's the mountain I had my biggest mishap on (broken wrist) and as a pianist I'll always remember it for that. But it's only a moderate hike and the views are so wonderful that we often use it to introduce others to the high peaks, and use it ourselves for a "warm-up." Thanks for a nice report, Tim!

Mavs, I thought I read somewhere that you were saving Noonmark for last in your Hundred Highest. If you were (and maybe I'm just imagining that) do you have a new peak in mind for #100?

Cool report. It IS unexpectedly steep, isn't it? Makes one realize that the AMR trailhead isn't one of your higher ones...

Gandalf said:
Mavs, I thought I read somewhere that you were saving Noonmark for last in your Hundred Highest. If you were (and maybe I'm just imagining that) do you have a new peak in mind for #100?

Cool report. It IS unexpectedly steep, isn't it? Makes one realize that the AMR trailhead isn't one of your higher ones...

You did, and I was. But since then, my 14 y/o son has commited to finishing with me and he already had Noonmark, so we had to switch it up.

We're both rapidly approaching peak 70 and his goal is to finish before he turns 16 (December, 06). He's got it in his mind that no one younger than that has ever done the ADK 100. I think he'd be right, but who knows.

We now think that McNaughton will be 100.

Mass,

A trail, yeah that was a real treat, I felt like I was on a highway. But trails meant erosion, and that meant my knees really felt this descent.

Last edited:
mavs00 said:
You did, and I was. But since then, my 14 y/o son has commited to finishing with me and he already had Noonmark, so we had to switch it up.

We're both rapidly approaching peak 70 and his goal is to finish before he turns 16 (December, 06). He's got it in his mind that no one younger than that has every done the ADK 100. I think he'd be right, but who knows.

We now think that McNaughton will be 100.

MacNaughton would be a great peak to finish on! I think your son would be close to the youngest. I hiked with a 100er two years ago who did it with his son, finishing when he was 14 or 15. But that was like thirty years ago, so your son would be the youngest in the gps era. Still, quite an accomplishment. Good luck.

Nice Report Tim..... I have climbed Noonmark at least 4 times now and every time the weather was perfect (the exact opposite can be said for Cascade). It is my wifes favourite peak too.
Have a good trip to Baxter and I hope you get good weather for climbing Katahdin. You're all gunna love it...try and do the knife edge if you get the chance. It's amazing!

-Phil