North and South Kinsman 3.10.12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotzman

Reaction score
Trails: Mt Kinsman TR from 116

Hikers: Scotzman + 9

Equipment: Microspikes to the ridge-line, snowshoes rest of the way

A friend had organized a trip for the weekend, for the group of us to head over from the Albany area and take our first venture into winter-time in the Whites. I don't normally get the chance to hike on the weekends but the prospect of getting a chance to climb some of the Whites, in the winter, and continue knocking off some of the peaks I would need for my 48 and 111 was too good of a opportunity to pass up. Our goal for the day was a 4am departure time, drive over, hike the Kinsmans and depending on time and energy possibly Cannon also. Well our ride time ended up being extended by snowy roads and a battle of dueling gps's so we didn't hit the trail till just after 9am.
Lafayette and Lincoln from S. Kinsman
DSC00741.JPG

The start of the trail was hard packed snow, with an inch or two of fresh powder. As we made our way to the ridge-line it had grown to 3-4 inches of fresh powder over the hard packed trails. With the forecast for warm temperatures and sunny skies on the weekend I wasn't sure how the snow quality would be but as it turned out Saturday stayed cool enough (high 20's at the base and in single digits on top) that the sun didn't degrade the quality of the snow too much. There were a number of post-holes from barebooters who ventured off the snow-spine but if you stayed on microspikes would probably do just fine. That said for the added traction and stability we all switched over to snowshoes for the remainder of the day. We had an enjoyable hike to the summit of N. Kinsman where we stopped to enjoy lunch and the great views of the Franconia Ridge, and beyond. For most of the group this was their first time hiking in the Whites and just my second trip; it is interesting to compare the differences between the trails of here and the Adirondacks back home. Here from the hikes I've seen so far it is much more of a steady, continuous climb uridge-linesidgelines vs the up and downs of the 'dacks. Each has their benefits but the chance of pace is enjoyable to me.
Liberty and Flume from S. Kinsman
DSC00755.JPG

Our trip over to S. Kinsman went quickly and again we took some time to soak up the awesome views we had. I have loved every hike and view that I've had so far in the Whites. I have been very blessed with views and weather as my two hikes last summer of Liberty and Flume, Lafayette and Lincoln and this hike and the one of Moosilauke on Sunday have all been bluebird days! As I plan on making the trek over here at least a few more times this spring/summer hopefully my luck continues. :D

P.S. Thanks Una_dogger and the others who offered the very helpful advice in trip planning! :)

Photos here:https://picasaweb.google.com/110641657393510920540/NorthAndSouthKinsman?authkey=Gv1sRgCNGYiqLm9byjoAE#

Attachments

• DSC00755.JPG
    DSC00755.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00755.jpg
    DSC00755.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Happy to help and glad you had such great weather for your trip over.

Did you take the short spur to Bald Knob from the Mt Kinsman Trail?

Photo #37 is really nice!

I didn't, but most of the group did. I had acquired some painful blisters from a hike on Wednesday and my tape job of protecting them had failed miserably, so I was just interested in getting back down. That pic did turn out pretty nice, there were many opportunities to snap photos. :)