North Doublehead for Summit Cheeseburger. June 28, 2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
(Most of this entry was copied from my Summit Cheeseburger post.) All the pictures can be found here.

Summit Cheeseburger's Mission: "To encourage, enable, and document the consumption of a Cheeseburger on every summit on earth."

We've wanted to do a Summit Cheeseburger hike for some time now, but it's difficult to find a peak that's a) close to a place that sells cheeseburgers and b) has a trail that's relatively short (we wanted to eat our burgers while they were still hot!). We finally decided on North Doublehead in Jackson, NH. We were at the trailhead fifteen minutes after purchasing our cheeseburgers at the McDonalds in North Conway.

We took the Doublehead Ski Trail to Old Path.

Old Path was 0.6 miles of STEEP! The pictures don't do the grade justice.

Once at the intersection with New Path, we turned left and were soon at the cabin.

North Doublehead June 28, 2012 029.jpg

Summit! Cheeseburgers!

North Doublehead June 28, 2012 036.jpg

View from the nearby ledge...

North Doublehead June 28, 2012 048.jpg

After a bit of lounging, we headed down the Ski Trail, which was much easier than Old Path and a lot kinder on the knees.

This was a nice 3.3 mile walk in the woods, and the cheeseburgers were a nice summit treat. We might have to do this kind of thing again...I notice a lot of NH mountains have yet to be claimed for Summit Cheeseburger...

Trish,

I think this was a great idea for a cheeseburger summit! I have heard that it is very steep, as you mentioned in your report...I wonder if you burn more calories on a steep ascent like this, than you gain with a McD's cheeseburger? I'm surprised you didn't have every bear in Jackson heading to North Doublehead with the sent of McD's! Great pics and report, Trish!

Karl

Trish,
I'm surprised you didn't have every bear in Jackson heading to North Doublehead with the sent of McD's!

I wrapped those burgers in six plastic bags before putting them in my pack. :D That took care of the smell fairly well.

Hope to see you and your little one some time...if you ever need babysitters up here, Alex and Sage would jump at the chance. :)

Hey just wondering why you gals did not hit South Doublehead also then you could have had a double cheeseburger instead of just a single??!!?

Hey just wondering why you gals did not hit South Doublehead also then you could have had a double cheeseburger instead of just a single??!!?

:)

South Doublehead was an option when we began the hike, but the girls decided to go down Doublehead Ski Trail instead of down and up the col to hit the other peak. In other words, we didn't go to the other peak because the girls didn't feel like checking it out. I plan to visit it at some point in the future on my own -- I hear it has some lovely ledges.

Cheeseburger, Pepsi!

I was thinking "this is pretty steep" too when I went up there. Looking back, that cabin would be a great locale for someone to serve weary travelers a cheeseburger--Pepsi!

I'm doing a modified Summit Cheeseburger tomorrow, with the burger between two summits (Lincoln probably) :D