North Moat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Took the Moat mt trail from Dianna's bath. This is a great route to a scenic summit. The trails were in great shape, barely any ice, no traction needed. Water crossings were easy, and it was pleasant weather wise. The slab sections were slimy and slick and the thick bed of leaves kept me on my toes. #15 for my dogs third round of the 52wav list. We grabbed Potash Saturday, another nice hike.

That's a real gem on the 52wav list and it should not be underestimated in terms of difficulty either. Certainly not technically difficult but harder in terms of distance and elevation gain than several 4Ks. I really enjoyed the loop over to Red Ridge Trail (no official designation for the 2 rocky bumps at the junction but I consider that "Red Ridge Peak") and down Red Ridge Trail. Sustained views to the NE on the descent of the ledges. I liked this hike almost as much as the Baldfaces.

Last edited:
The one limiation it has is almost pure North Exposure, it can be kind of cool on winter day and the snow tends to pile up.

Yep, exactly the opposite of South Moat which was almost always my first snow free hike of the year.

North Moat was the peak that reignited my passion for the mountains. We were up there in August 2012 and the wife dropped me off at Diana's Bath while they spent the day at Cranmore. Fantastic peak.

Climbed it again a few years later during the Beast of the East trail race which starts at Echo Lake, goes up Red Ridge and then down towards Diana's Bath before returning to Echo Lake. That was a tough one.

The one limiation it has is almost pure North Exposure, it can be kind of cool on winter day and the snow tends to pile up.
I guess Like many things it's how you look at it. We did it one year and it was covered in ice pretty much the whole way. Just a magnificent climb in crampons. It has a lot going for it in many regards.

Agree that is a great peak and should not be underestimated, particularly if you do the Red Ridge loop. The loop (around 10 miles or so) did chew up my dog's front pads though. Not horrible, but he was limping a little when we finished. Healed in a week or so. So just fyi that it is a rugged hike.