Northern Long Trail Tips?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basurablanca

Reaction score
Hi all,

A group of friends (4-5 total) and I are planning on hiking a section of the northern Long Trail, possibly from Montgomery Center (Atlas Valley Shelter) to the Laura Woodward shelter (overnight near there) and then out the the Jay/Richford Highway on the following day. What we actually do will depend on how we feel, closer study of the map, Long Trail Guide etc.

Anyone have any general (or specific) thoughts or suggestions about this section of trail? Are there legal tent sites near the Woodward shelter? One thing that I almost hesitate to mention is that we will have our hiking experienced dog (leashed) along with us.

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Bruce

I was just out on the Long Trail peakbagging Ellen and Abraham (part of section 8) on Saturday with MichaelJ. Overall it was a nice, well maintained trail section. The knowledgeable Shelter / trail maintainers will be on the shelter sites for the next 2 weeks. That was according to the Battell Shelter maintiainer. They come off after that due to the winter.

The Long Trail Guide for 2004 was excellent; good info, maps OK. Also check out the Long Trail End to Enders Book available from the Green Mountain Club.

I have been looking into section hiking this trail soon, but it depends on completing the NE67 in 2005 and NE 100 in early 2006. I might be interested in joining one of the overnight section hikes.

Good luck on your hike.
:)

Tony

Be very careful. Trailhead car break-ins are common along the LT in VT. With all of the break-ins and no sting operations or arrests, I'm convinced it must be the locals, or the local cops doing the dirty work. Personally, I'm boycotting the state.

Sounds like a great trip to me!

I just grabbed my End-to-Enders and it says "no tenting, no fires" for Laura Woodward, if that helps. And it doesn't sound like your staying at the Atlas Valley shelter, but just in case you are thinking of it, it's pretty much directly on the highway.

If you are working on any lists, you don't want to pass up Big Jay, just off the LT.........since you'll be practically "right there"!!

Have fun!!