Northern Presidential Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
On Saturday 10/22 myself and two friends attempted a full presidential traverse. We left one car at the AMC Highland Center in Crawford Notch and one car at the Cog Railway parking lot and got dropped off at the Pine Link trail around 12:30am.

With headlamps on we started hiking up this steep trail extremely excited about the day to come. After a lot of huffing and puffing we finally reached Mount Madison around 4:30am and celebrated with a nice relaxing break. We then continued on to Mount Adams and started seeing the sun rising on our left and were anxiously awaiting a spectacular sunrise.

We made it up to Adams just in time to watch one of the most incredible shows I have ever seen. The weather was perfect and the sun highlighted the vast mountains and valleys that make this part of the world beautiful. After many pictures and cliff bars we decided to head out to Jefferson sans headlamps this time.

We did a bit of bushwacking up this steep peak but finally made the summit warmed by the now risen sun. On Jefferson we met our first hiker of the trip who was relaxing on the summit taking in the views. After another brief rest and a few cliff bars we headed off to Mount Clay with Washington in our sights.

We ran into another hiker on the top of Mount Clay who we enjoyed speaking with and got a few pointers for the difficult summit push that we had ahead of us. The hike up Washington was very difficult in our exhausted state but we kept pushing on "auto-pilot" until we finally reached the pinnacle of the Northeast. Saturday was the last day that the Sherman Adams building was open so we enjoyed a few cups of hot chocolate and some hot dogs as a reward for our day's adventure. We also learned that an aggressive storm was on its way that we would probably get caught in if we continued further. After a brief discussion we combined the facts that we were exhausted and the storms arrival to decide that we should abort the plan to climb the Southern Presidentials.

So we got geared up again and hiked down the icy ridge to the Lakes of the Clouds Hut. From there we took the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail to the car that we parked for emergencies. This trail is more like a frozen waterfall than a trail. If we had ropes on us we would have probably rappelled down rather than slowly sliding down the never-ending river. Although we were tired and upset about this slow descent, we got to see the most amazing waterfalls and pools that we have ever laid eyes upon. We will surely be back in the summer to swim and cliff dive in "the gorge" which is about half-way down.

After finally getting out alive and safe we picked up the other car and drove to Mr. Pizza in Gorham to relax with calzones and beer! So all-in-all we didn't sleep for 41 hours, hiked about 15 miles with 8000 feet of elevation gain, and had the time of our lives!

Pictures of the entire trip can be seen here: www.shutterbook.com/albums/Tomahawk/29651

kmac -

Shutterbook uses Macromedia's Flash Player, and they require the newest version of it (8). You should be able to download and install it here. If you're using IE on Windows, your security settings may prevent it from working if they're locked down overly tight.

Nice rime - incredible sunrise! What are you shooting with?

Oh my God, you survived! (just kidding) Impressive display of intestinal fortitude and good judgement. How about some split times? What times did you hit the peaks at? When did you get back to the car? Sounds like that sunrise was worth the insanely early start-time. It is always neat when you're out there on the trail and things just start going from dark to dim and before you know it good old Sol is peeking over the horizon... It happens every day but not nearly enough people see a good sunrise on a regular basis.

P.S. Any chance you could load those photos onto Webshots or something more viewer-friendly?

I just went and installed Flash 8 and can't seem to get it to work in Firefox... It just goes to a blank screen with background but no icons, pictures or text.

Going to try to reload...

Jay

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. We had a great time and really lucked out with the weather! As for the times, we left at 12:30am, hit Madison at 4:30am, Adams at sunrise (whatever time that was), don't know about Jefferson or Clay, but we hit Washington at 11:30am and were back in the car at 4:30pm. I'm sorry if you can't see the pics because they came out great. I use Firefox and IE and can see them fine. Just make sure you update your Macromedia Flash to 8.0.

I also forgot to mention that we saw a 3-legged fox in the parking lot of the AMC Highland Center when we dropped off the car. He let us take a few pictures (awaiting development) and then ran off fairly fast for missing a leg. Thanks again for the replies and I can't wait for the next trip!

-Tomahawk

Update, for those of you useing Firefox v1.07 and Macromedia Flash 8 AND have Adblock installed :

You need to go into Tools->Adblock->Preferences

Got to the "Adblock Options" menu item and UNCHECK

"obj tabs"

Close that and reload and the shutterfly should work, i.e. Flash 8 should now work.

Adblock FAQ

Jay

Last edited:
I hope everyone can see my pictures now. When I was looking for a photo hosting site Shutterbook stood out as a great choice because of its sharpness and free hosting. Since some people don't have Flash 8.0 it prohibits people from spending the time to check out my pics. Does anyone have any good suggestions for other "better" hosting sites? Thanks a lot.

-Tomahawk

Tomahawk, I think a lot of people use webshots (free). It's a bit faster than Shutterbook because it doesn't use Macromedia Flash 8. You can store up to 240 photos for free and it also uses thumbnails though you can do a slideshow like SB, though it's probably not as fancy as SB. However, having said that, I prefer substance over flash. And SB with dialup is painful!

I have also tried Ofoto (now Kodak), grovestreet, and picturetrail. I've maxes out GS and PT, but kodak is kind of unlimited. I've tried Flickr but you can only store 10MB of photos which is finished in like no time... pointless!

Jay