Not a snow dump up north

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10" of fluff here, and pretty much elsewhere in southern NH got similar or more. Of course, tonight will mess that all up...

The NWS snow forecast has the northern whites in a band of 12 to 16 inches with some 16 to 24 inch spots mixed in from tonight's storm.

Is Quintown Rd plowed to the parking area marked on map in Winter or is the J Trail, Kodak Trail just for Summer use? How many cars can fit there? Been struggling to come up with new areas to hike this year and Smarts and Cube look like interesting peaks.

Is Quintown Rd plowed to the parking area marked on map in Winter or is the J Trail, Kodak Trail just for Summer use? How many cars can fit there? Been struggling to come up with new areas to hike this year and Smarts and Cube look like interesting peaks.

I don't think it gets plowed past Mousely Brook Rd. In the past there have been people parked at that intersection where Baker Rd is.

14" of dense snow in Gorham at 6 AM Wednesday. It probably started raining around 4:30 AM and by 8 AM the snow compressed down to 12". I could snow blow fresh snow but if was compacted from walking on it, forget it. The snow sliding off solar arrays also was some nasty stuff to get rid of. If any of this could set up, it will make a nice solid base.

I noticed the school closure for Gorham/Berlin and wondered what you folks were dealing with, good luck today. We had a 2 hr delay and I was very doubtful that I would make it back up my driveway, surprisingly I did. I watched the storm till a bit after midnite as snow, and a peak gust of 20 mph. My wife reported being woken at 4:30 from frightening wind, I checked the gauge with a 37 mph gust shown.
About 2 or 3 inches left this morning, as I was formulating the removal plan, it started to really pour rain. I was hoping this event would be a little heavier in snow so as to build up the base in the woods before being attacked by the rain (we had 7 from the weekend event); but at the same time glad I only have 2 inches of slop in the driveway as compared to peakbaggers foot. I started to shovel the porch and immediately strained my back, guess I should actually wear that back brace I bought when I realized I'm getting older.
Stuck now in the age-old conundrum of plow now or wait for more rain to soak into and bring down the snow before removal?

In my experience, I've seen Quinttown Rd. plowed up to the last house, but that's not always the case. It's not plowed up to the parking area for J/Kodak.

Two of my favorite trails and an area I really enjoy hiking in. The J trail is fantastic as is the Kodak trail. It's pretty quiet in there. I haven't gone in in the winter so, I am not sure about plowing and parking. There is a trip report in netrailconditions from 11-24 for the Daniel Doan trail that goes into some of the parking issues. I know this, in areas like that, I go out of my way to not piss off the locals, they live out there for a reason and they generally have a low tolerance for visitors who cause any issues.

Two of my favorite trails and an area I really enjoy hiking in. The J trail is fantastic as is the Kodak trail. It's pretty quiet in there. I haven't gone in in the winter so, I am not sure about plowing and parking. There is a trip report in netrailconditions from 11-24 for the Daniel Doan trail that goes into some of the parking issues. I know this, in areas like that, I go out of my way to not piss off the locals, they live out there for a reason and they generally have a low tolerance for visitors who cause any issues.
FWIW, I've had positive interactions with the landowners at the CRT trailhead and the DD trailhead, but the area definitely has a vibe to it. I wonder what's different this year that made them turn the DD lot into a turnaround.

I'll probably hold off until the weather breaks. The Kodak Trail looks like my kind of trail, at least on the map. I thought the Lambert Trail looked interesting on the map too. What was it about that one you didn't care for? Too busy? Boring woods? Mud? Curious.

I'll probably hold off until the weather breaks. The Kodak Trail looks like my kind of trail, at least on the map. I thought the Lambert Trail looked interesting on the map too. What was it about that one you didn't care for? Too busy? Boring woods? Mud? Curious.
The Lambert ridge trail is certainly a fine route, it is one I would recommend for sure. The first time I did it, it was in the shoulder season and conditions were ugly, rotten snow, ice and a bit of water. I saw nobody and had a wonderful climb. The descent down the Ranger trail was essentially walking down a brook filled with loose rock, until the valley floor, then it was a fine walk out from there. My second ascent of the Lambert ridge was in the summer, quite busy with hikers, AT hikers and a few loose dogs that forgot their owners awhile back. The multiple encounters of a negative experience soured me a bit. Then I found the J trail. Remote, quiet and very nice hiking. That is more the experience I seek when I can. Across the street from the J trail is the Kodak trail. A wild trail that is much quieter then the Cross-Revendale trail. Just a nice valley with varied trail conditions, manageable river crossings, nice ledge systems providing great views into the secluded valleys around you. A cool shelter too, the Hexacube shelter is a short detour and a nice place for a break. I know you will find both these routes quite pleasant.

The Lambert ridge trail is certainly a fine route, it is one I would recommend for sure. The first time I did it, it was in the shoulder season and conditions were ugly, rotten snow, ice and a bit of water. I saw nobody and had a wonderful climb. The descent down the Ranger trail was essentially walking down a brook filled with loose rock, until the valley floor, then it was a fine walk out from there. My second ascent of the Lambert ridge was in the summer, quite busy with hikers, AT hikers and a few loose dogs that forgot their owners awhile back. The multiple encounters of a negative experience soured me a bit. Then I found the J trail. Remote, quiet and very nice hiking. That is more the experience I seek when I can. Across the street from the J trail is the Kodak trail. A wild trail that is much quieter then the Cross-Revendale trail. Just a nice valley with varied trail conditions, manageable river crossings, nice ledge systems providing great views into the secluded valleys around you. A cool shelter too, the Hexacube shelter is a short detour and a nice place for a break. I know you will find both these routes quite pleasant.
Thanks. I too prefer the "off the beaten path" routes and more remote areas. Definitely going to hit this area at some point.

Thanks, Mt Ascutney is nice area to hang out in.

I used my moderator powers to edit your profile to show a location. Feel free to change it to something more creative.