Recent Snowfall 12/17

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like winter in Gorham on the hill. My bet is Randolph Hill Road got more. I got between 16" and 18" with few inches more in the forecast and it has some substance to it. My snowblower could just handle it even though it was level with the top of inlet chute. Clean up took 2 hours including raking off the solar panels. With the forecast for Rain on Friday. I wonder how it will hold up?

It's definitely enough for snowshoes.

At least it will look nice for the real day to celebrate on Wednesday.

We were enjoying a nice little storm here in Bethlehem that added up to about 5" ttl. Was able to shovel the almost 2" late Friday, a wet but pleasant activity of just under 2 hrs. 3 to 4 wet and heavy inches into Saturday mid morning. Took just as long to remove this with a snowblower on a tractor.

I thought my friends providing status texts were in the bullseye with one in Walpole and another in Nelson NH where he had 17" and a day without electricity; was really surprised when I saw the snow totals for Gorham and down the Rte. 16 to Conway corridor reporting near 2 feet.

A (pre)winter classic.

My friend near the end of Jimtown road in Gorham had 20". I got another 2 inches overnight but far fluffier. I am waiting to hear of a reliable total for the upper end of Randolph Hill Road as that normally is the jackpot for the RT2 corridor. I expect Gray Knob's report this week will be interesting.

More on the way this week also, right after the start of the actual winter season.

It does look like a lot of rain and then cold or maybe downhill ice skating. Water crossings may be difficult on Saturday if it is mostly rain this time.

On another note, I brought up in the 4K FB group some of the old winter starting points as I saw someone was thinking Wildcat Ridge was the winter route for a snow-covered Wildcat trip and someone was asking about a Pemi-Loop .

I'll admit to not being to the Hancocks in sometime, it appears they re-routed Cedar Brook to eliminate some of the five brook crossings. Did they, I can find trip reports showing a re-route and others that mention the five crossings. Another WWW flaw for trip information, some of the internet reports don't have dates, they could be older than me, okay that's unlikely. If they did do an official re-route, I would think the Rocky Branch approach to Isolation would be high on the list of "what's next".

I'll admit to not being to the Hancocks in sometime, it appears they re-routed Cedar Brook to eliminate some of the five brook crossings. Did they, I can find trip reports showing a re-route and others that mention the five crossings.

This happened quite awhile ago, maybe 6-8 years. I haven't done that hike in awhile either but the last time I did it I followed the new route, which still had spongy ground from recent clearing. I think it bypassed 2 of the original stream crossings, not all of them.

Four of the five have now been bypassed. But for years the first two were bypassed easily and were mentioned in the guide book for decades

22nd-28th WMG: The first two crossings are only 40 yd. apart and can be avoided by following a well-beaten path on the near bank
29th WMG: Here it follows a bypass to the right, avoiding two former crossings of the North Fork
30th WMG: Here the trail turns right and follows the start of the long-established bypass, and in 35 yd. it continues ahead (right) on a new relocation

Last edited: