Not on our list: Lethe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hikers

Reaction score
Looking for a good hike on Tuesday we decided we'd visit the Imp Face. Years back, while bagging the Carters, we decended by the southern loop of the Imp Trail, missing The Face.The guide said great views from there, so it was a date. To make the hike worthwhile, we decided we would add a hike up to the Carter/ Moriah and check out the views.
The climb up to the Face went well, and coming out onto the ledges we got immediate pay-off for our effort. The views were spectacular, showing all the Presidents lined up.

imp001.jpg

Presidential Array

imp010.jpg

The day was warming up, but a good breeze had been blowing, giving us relief on the climb. After enjoying the view for a good while, we continued on to the junction with the North Carter Trail.Taking that trail, we climbed another 1900 feet or so reaching the Carter/ Moriah. A right turn there brought us across a low lying area with a long boardwalk--

imp013.jpg

And then on up to our destination, Mt Lethe.
How many great locations we have just quickly passed by while peakbagging, I may never know. But this, and The Imp Face, are just two of them.The view from this open space was fantastic. George and all his fellow presidents standing right before us.

imp009.jpg

imp017.jpg

Unfortunately, the wind, which had kept us cool during the climb,was now at full strength with gusts of 60 or 70 MPH. It blew straight at us from the Presidentials making time spent in the open very uncomfortable. I tried to withstand it while taking pictures, but was blown around like a feather. I had to time my steps to the gusts so as to keep my balance.We discussed the need for anchors in the future.

We met several through- hikers and peakbaggers who, like us, had never heard of Mt. Lethe before. They were all on Carter collection duty and moving right along. We found a place down in the spruce to have lunch, and then headed back down. We took the southern loop this time, coming out a couple of tenths below our car.

At the car we changed, crossed the road and enjoyed a dip in the river at the picnic area just south of Dolly Copp Campground. It was SOOO refreshing.
This was a good hike of about 9 miles and 3500 feet of elevation gain but, more importantly, it reminded us of the treasures one sometimes misses when intent on peakbagging. Also on this hike we took time to have breaks and sit quietly enjoying the warm afternoon. A memorable day !!

Glad you enjoyed the Imp Face and Lethe! Nice photos too...there are plenty of gems up this a way!! Lefty E

I also enjoyed the view for Lethe on my last hike over the ridge. Just curious, does anyone know the correct pronunciation of Lethe?

Mt. Lethe

I believe it is "Leethe" long E. And it could also be "Leethee" both long E's. I do still believe it is "Leethe".

(Dick adds the following) Leethee: forgetfullness, if you drink from this river in Greek Mythology, you forget the past.

Last edited:
To determine the correct pronunciation of "Lethe" the Mountain, it would be helpful to know its origin, but that seems to be lost in the mists of time, based on a prior thread here initiated by Roy Swkr. For lack of a better explanation, people assume it is from "lethe," a Classical Greek word that meant "forgetfulness" or "oblivion." The Greeks applied that word specifically to the River Lethe - one of five Rivers in Hades and the "River of Forgetfulness." Souls who drank from it forgot all their earthly memories, which according to Plato and some other Greek writers was a prelude to their reincarnation.

In English, the Greek "lethe" is pronounced "LEE-thee." Of course, the Mountain could be pronounced differently.

Roy Swkr also considered at length exactly which bump should be deemed the summit-point of Mt. Lethe, which you could look up.

And then on up to our destination, Mt Lethe.
If you look at the prior thread, I explain why the 4584 bump is not the true Mt Lethe

Also it appears that your stopped at the viewpoint and did not go to the highpoint of 4584 which gives views of Wild River