Nutrition question for long day-hike.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably took on 1500 the night before, and 1000 max during.

I'm guessing an average burn rate of just under 10 cals per hour over the 17 hours so I'm suspecting I burned up a lot of fat and some protein on the hike.

I found it hard to eat. No appetite.
Don't forget that it takes a while to ramp up one's input, so for weekend hiking one should expect to input fewer calories than expended during the hike and making up the difference before or afterwards.

Doug

I'm heading back for the same hike next week and this time around will carry soy nuts, pumkin seeds, raisins and dried apricots in my pockets and be much more disciplined about nibbling on them constantly.

I'll take twice as much espresso coffee but will leave out 90% of the sugar.

I'm heading back for the same hike next week and this time around will carry soy nuts, pumkin seeds, raisins and dried apricots in my pockets and be much more disciplined about nibbling on them constantly.

I'll be doing this same hike only I'll be taking just the sugar that Neil leaves out of his coffee.

I'm curious about 2 things.
1. Have you targeted a quantity of each food you want to consume on the hike?
2. If so, have you mapped the macro nutrient and total calories your going to ingest?

...The day before I ate a huge steak and 2 baked potatoes washed down with 4 bottles of beer. I drank 2 cups of chocoate milk while driving to the trailhead.

That's a lot of complex animal protein to ask your body to deal with the same time it's in the midst of a grueling hike. I'd suggest you consider more readily digestible foods the day before you attempt it again as I think your overall energy levels would be greater on lighter fare.

I'm late looking at this thread, but in my experience, the body gets trained to burn its fat. Canadian Ski Marathon: 100 miles of skiing with a full pack, over 2 days. There is absolutely no way you can eat anywhere near the calories you burn. Supper in the field is a freeze dried meal, so the second day's 50 miles is starting without much preperation.

When I ride my bike down to the adirondacks,,, about 160 miles. I don't eat special the day before, and eat very little during the ride. Then I remember the (shorter) 110 mile bike ride with a hangover. All I had to eat was an apple, a croissant, and 3 gummy bears.

I don't really think that WHAT I ate made much of a difference at all, since most of my energy was coming from fat.

Hmmmm...

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about electrolyte drink mixes. Most pro athletes use a watered down version, kinda like 1/4 part drink to 4/5 part water. Not that food is unimportant, but water and minerals/salts were always more important to me back when I was an athlete (the mesozoic era).

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about electrolyte drink mixes. Most pro athletes use a watered down version, kinda like 1/4 part drink to 4/5 part water. Not that food is unimportant, but water and minerals/salts were always more important to me back when I was an athlete (the mesozoic era).

Just saw this - an electrolyte drink with caffeine...may be just the thing you need Neil.

What would you call an espresso and gatoraid mix?

I drink my sweet strong coffee seperate from my gatoraid but we might be able to come up with a marketable and trendy energy drink.

I'm curious about 2 things.
1. Have you targeted a quantity of each food you want to consume on the hike?
2. If so, have you mapped the macro nutrient and total calories your going to ingest?
I hope to go through a cup each of each food.
That's a lot of complex animal protein to ask your body to deal with the same time it's in the midst of a grueling hike. I'd suggest you consider more readily digestible foods the day before you attempt it again as I think your overall energy levels would be greater on lighter fare.
Agreed 100% but when someone offers to cook me big rib-eye I have a hard time resisting. This time I'll eat a lot leaner.

My food choices are high in electrolytes. I wasn't planning on any fluids other than water and espresso coffee.

I hope to go through a cup each of each food.

Interesting enough, after making some assumptions about your daily requirements and the specific types of foods purchased, below are the stats after eating 1 cup of each item throughout the hike. This is based upon the USDA SR21, DRI.

Intake

2382 cal = 97% daily recommended
111g protein = 61% daily recommended
292g carbs = 103% daily recommended
110g fat = 157% daily recommended
vitamins = 66% daily recommended
minerals = 86% daily recommended

macro nutrients
17% protein
45% carbs
38% fat

Total Food Weight = 21oz