Ok, I'll do it... BIG SNOW STORM(s) 2/17, 2/19!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to emphasize/expand upon/expound upon the point that Cath makes with the reference to the avalanche advisory. This excerpt ought to be on everyone's mind this week if they're entering avalanche terrain, regardless of whether they're actually at Tuckerman or Huntington Ravines:

"The mountains are looking and acting vastly different than just one week ago. Many slopes that are not often thought of as potential avalanche paths are now fully developed. "

Avalanches in the Northeast are not limited to these two ravines. Folks have been killed by avalanches in VT and NY in the past. This is a week that might see a slide on a place that you would not have imagined. And avalanche terrain is not limited to the chutes themselves. Think about what is above you on slopes from 25 to 45 degrees -- if you can't see it, think about avoiding travel underneath it if possible.

Last edited:
Would anyone say there is avalanche danger on either the Jewell or Ammo approaches to Washington? How about Jewell/Washington/Jefferson?

The OBS team put some nice skiing pictures on their Facebook page, if you have access to that sort of thing. No trace of the cog tracks.

Tim

As Sargod1 pointed out, every snowfield/gully/chute/slide path has avy potential. Re. the Ammo in the particular, I read the TR of a group that skied it on Sunday and they cut loose a small slough.