Ok, I'll do it... BIG SNOW STORM(s) 2/17, 2/19!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At my house in Campton (close to Waterville Valley)...

Rain turned into wet snow a couple of hours ago...got perhaps an inch of wet, heavy snow...and now all precip has stopped and the sun's coming out.

Not that it really matters (as no one hikes in Palermo Maine) but...we have NO SNOW LEFT!! It rained, and rained, and rained, and rained.

How does Franconia look...will Canon be doable on Sunday (hi-canon up and back...probably)

Bummer. WWW!!! Wind, water, warm. 50+ mph wind gusts last night, trees down, power out, heavy rain, swollen streams. Ground in the open is bare at 1200' in Franconia. No sign of new snow as high as about 4500' on the west side of Franconia Notch.

Hmmm...sounds interesting

So...any potential dangerous water crossings up that high-cannon or on the Kinsman Ridge trail?

If there's no snow, we may opt for a loop (hi-canon, kinsman ridge, pemi back to the car).

The western Whites are the big losers in this for Cannon, Franconia, up to Twin Mountain. There was a warm dry wind then came down from the central Whites and ruined there snow. Bretton Woods reported no new snow at the bottom, and 12 at the top. If you want to hike in snow, hike in the central or eastern Whites. The only place I saw snow in the western Whites was Lost River with 11 inches.

-Mattl

Hmmm...sounds interesting

So...any potential dangerous water crossings up that high-cannon or on the Kinsman Ridge trail?

If there's no snow, we may opt for a loop (hi-canon, kinsman ridge, pemi back to the car).

No new snow at 1200' here and no new snow visible up to 4500' on west side of FN. There will not be bare ground at higher elevation, of course.

Last edited:
It looks like a bomb hit Northeast MA. There are trees and power lines down everywhere. Three large trees fell on a house just up the street. Just awful.

I have no idea when power will be restored. Am told that there was a microburst, which seems to make sense. I felt that the winds were stronger than Hurricane Bob.

We thankfully have heat, water, refrigerator and a few lights, thanks to our generator.

Marty

Just talked to my brother and he's out plowing on Gorham Hill, says 18 inches of WET snow.

Bet those Presis are looking nice and white right now.
I agree . . . and now if only you could just see them!:D

Here's the view from the Bretton Woods webcam as of about 2PM (26-Feb). Either the camera isn't working, or it's pretty gray conditions out there!
presidentials-med.jpg

Last edited:
Skied Sunday River today and although the tops of the peaks were in the thick fog all day, there was lots of new snow up top. 32" over the last two days may be an exageration, and only 4-5" new at the base. Still had a great day considering the weather over the last couple of days!!!

Thanks Barkingcat, I was wondering what went on down in Pinkham's. There was less remaining there prior to this storm than we had just up the road.

Had the same snow total as peakbagger here in Gorham at the foot of Ice Gulch on the Randolph line. Never got the high winds, maybe since I'm tucked in a little valley.

Interesting that it was not just a north/south thing. Lancaster only had rain, friends from Brighton, VT said they only had rain.

Last edited:
Weather Underground has a snow depth page.
4k-Relevant 24 hour snowfall figures and reporting times for today, 2/26, are:
Mt. Washington 10.5" 7AM
Pinkham Notch - 6.0" 6AM
Conway---------1.0" 7AM
York Pond ------4.8" 7:30AM

Does the Mt. W. Obs. have a way of measuring the snow before it blows away?

Not really, that's one reason Mount Washington doesn't record as much, its just so windy. Another 4-8 inches fell today in the Whites above 2000 feet!

Lincoln was grass and snowbanks today - rain all day yesterday though there was some flurries today. I took a ride up the Kanc on my lunch break - what an amazing transformation! Just a few miles past Loon mountain the world turned white, with the snowbanks getting higher and higher, trees completely coated. There's a huge wall of snow where the Hancock trail should be, and the pullovers up in the pass are tight narrow snow corridors with immense walls. I haven't seen anything like that for many years - good luck to the poor soul breaking out the Hancock Notch trail! :eek: The road crew told me it was close to 4 feet of new snow up at the top of the Pass - hard to tell for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Back home in Bethlehem is just a bit on the ground that survived the rain - sigh. :(

Last edited:
In like a lion--5" new snow overnight, 25F, snowiing heavily, but possibly turning to rain at lower elevvations this afternoon.

10 a m update: 7" new down, steady moderate fall continues, winds still light.

Last edited: