Ok, I'll do it... BIG SNOW STORM(s) 2/17, 2/19!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingmaineac

Reaction score
Ok, I'll do it... BIG SNOW STORM(s) 2/24, 2/26!

Taken from Portland's WGME channel 13.

..."Only the mountains will hang on to all snow and this is where 8 to 12 inches of will pile up by Wednesday night."

..."Strong wind, heavy rain and heavy mountain snow starting Thursday night and lasting through the day Friday. A few FEET of snow in the mountains this week."

Last edited:
Me thinks that you have some dates confused. :confused: Today is the 23rd. storms tonight-tomorrow and Thurs night-Fri.

Methinks you caught the same virus that claimed Matt Noyes this week. You're both gonna end up with big headaches . . . after I get done beatin' on ya when this thing fizzles into a rain event. From the NWS Gray/Portland discussion this morning:

"AM PUTTING MORE STOCK IN THE WARMER/SLOWER GFS BASED ON
FACT THAT IT`S BEEN WARMER THAN NORMAL AND WE DON`T HAVE THE USUAL
DEEP COLD SNOW PACK...SO WE WON`T HAVE TO OVERCOME A DEEP COLD LAYER
TO WARM UP THE LOWER LAYERS. QUESTION BECOMES HOW FAR INLAND THE
RAIN/SNOW LINE MOVES IN. EVEN THE COLDER NAM BRINGS IN A CHANGEOVER
AS FAR AS NORTHERN NH...THOUGH IT KEEPS THE WESTERN MOUNTAINS OF MAINE
AS A MOSTLY SNOW EVENT.

And I'm heading to Western Maine tomorrow for 3 days of skiing!!! That's why I'm smiling.:D:):cool: Got my NO RAIN dance going.

So the two storms to mention are Tuesday night(tonight) into Thursday morning, and a much larger one Thursday night into Saturday or Sunday for the mountains. The first one should drop a solid 10-18 inches in the Whites, and outside that area, it is a horrible situation trying to forecast. It is going to be highly elevation storm and very wet. The more west or higher you are the better. The rain line with this one may come all the way to the lakes region of NH, so a tough call. The second storm is anyone's guess, I am not even going to try. There will be a very deep storm, but the track is uncertain. What is certain is the Whites should continue to dump and this one could do 1-2 feet on top of the other storm. So if you are hiking this weekend, snowshoes will be a must. Weather enthusiast get excited with this because two storms this big don't usually happen this close together.

-Mattl

Well it was early in the AM, and it's the thought/wish/hope that counts, right? Sorry for the confusion... If only we could EDIT our thread titles!

Edit: Here's the latest map of Wednesday's storm.

26369_544601592021_14005407_32237556_7202376_n.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta love those maps from various news outlets. I know it's not in their forecast territory, but the SW NH section is listed as "Up to 2" and the forecast for that area (the Monadnocks) is for 6-9". We already have close to 1" on the ground here at 9pm.

Yeah, I do not agree with that snow map at all. Burlington and Gray both just issued warnings for my area(Lebanon, NH) for 10-20 inches of snow. That is just from the first storm.

Jay Peak is reporting 14-16" of new snow and still dumping hard. Sigh.

Deja Vu all over again!! Running off the generator that was purchased due to last year's ice storm. At least I can work from home, but may not get to Maine for the skiing vacation. 8" of cement snow in my yard.

Well...so far it's raining here in Augusta Me.

Hmmmm.....snowshoes on Sunday (FINALLY!!!)...IF it actually continues to snow in the whites...and not turn to rain