Okay! This is it!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nor'Easter

Reaction score
Well kids, it looks like this is the year that I'm finally going to go try Yellowstone on for size! I'm a bit freaked out and overwhelmed.

Not worried about Grizz. Not worried about route finding. It all just seems so big and unfamiliar.

If anyone here has any recommendations on routes, good books or just some general "heads up" info, I'd sure appreciate it. Heck! I don't even know what time of year to go!

thanks a heap.

Nor'Easter?

When are you going Nor-easter? We are also heading for Yellowstone this year -- in mid-July. Hopefully I will be able to grin and bear the summertime crowds.

Though I have most of our trip planned at this point, I'd also be interested in hearing recommendations...still plenty of time to rearrange things.

In the event, you are heading to Yellowstone after mid-July, I'll happily report back to let you know what we liked and didn't like.
- Ivy

Last edited:
We were only there one day (spent most of our time in the Tetons), so I can't be much help, but just wanted to say have fun planning and have a great trip.

Do you ever post on backpacker.com? I would also try the Rocky Mtn forum there to get advice.

We'll be there in late june/early july. What type of things are you looking to do ? A friend of mine (a Junior High teacher of mine that got a bunch of us into hiking and winter camping on the AT and Daks :) ) is a Ranger there and has been sending me info on his favorite hikes and peaks.

Things we did while there (mid-July):
1. Hiked Half Dome
2. Hiked North Dome
3. Hiked Mt. Dana
4. Hiked Lembert's Dome
I would recommend any of these. The Half Dome hike was the most crowded, especially the cable near the end, but well worth it.

We camped two places: Tuolomne Meadows and...um...um...the other place. It was outside of Yosemite Valley anyway. Tuolomne Meadows is beautiful. We also had a bear try to join us for dinner one night there. In general, we avoided Yosemite Valley when we could.

I've posted this here before, but definitely eat at the Mobil station in Lee Vining. It will be the highlight of your trip. Trust me.

Have fun!

Trailbiscuit, nice advice, but wrong park. :p

(I have heard the Mobil Station in Lee Vining recommended so many times -- but I didn't know until after our trip out there. So funny because we drove by it several times and it never occurred to us to eat there)

My only advice with park that size is not to try and see/do too much. We drove the loop road to see the "sites" and then packed in to Heart Lake for a few days to just hang out and explore. When I go back I will pack in to a different area but use the same strategy.

Good thing I'm not a professional proofreader! :eek: :D :D :D

OK, Yellowstone, it is.
Are you going in winter? We were there two winters ago, and even though there was minimal snow, there's some great xc skiing. But, I'm going to shut up now, because you're probably going to Glacier. :D :D :D

trailbiscuit - :D .

I recently saw a documentary on Yellowstone in the winter time and it's definitely on our list to go there in the winter time. The landscape and wildlife just looked stunning.

The big deal in Yellowstone is geysers, mud pots, etc. We left the 1000+ miles of hiking trails pretty much alone to spend more time with features unique to Yellowstone. There is a book describing all the geysers in detail whose name escapes me.

We hiked up to Divide Lookout and saw grizzly scat, Mt Washburn which was civilized but nice.

Where?

Oh, wait! Did I say "Yellowstone"? I meant The Paramus NJ wild forest preserve! Sorry for misleading you guys! ;)

Actually, Yellowstone it shall be!

My goal is to go as long and deep as about five days will allow. Don't really know when, though. I'm sort of waiting for someone to say: "You simply must go during the lovely month of ______."

Maybe someone will talk me out of it in favor of someplace else. I hear Mall Country is beautiful this time of year... :eek:

N'E

I've got a client who organizes 3 and 5 day backcountry horseback outings in Yellowstone. Very first class for horseback and pretty expensive. Are you interested in your hooves or a horses ?

Two good books for info:
1 -- Hiking Yellowstone (Falcon Guide) by Bill Schneider. Maps are weak, but the text info is good.
2 -- Lost in My Own Backyard by Tim Cahill. He goes into detail about three backpacks. Check out the southeast part of the park (Thoroughfare ranger station area); he says something about that area being the most remote something or another in the lower 48 states.

We did Washburn, Seven Mile Hole.

Muddy snowmelt in spring. Upper peaks still snowed in.

Summers are crowded. Duh 101.

I would suggest just after Labor Day. Less crowds. Warm days, cool nights. Rowdy wildlife.

Nor'Easter said:
Oh, wait! Did I say "Yellowstone"? I meant The Paramus NJ wild forest preserve

I've also been to Paramus...can't recommend it.

BTW, if you're in Gardiner, MT, do not eat at the Wokking Panda. Repeat do not eat there. It's a chinese restaurant. They also sell bullets. Do not eat there. And, I'm certain I'm talking about Yellowstone here. :D :D :D

If you are considering a Yellowstone back-country skiing adventure, I recommend searching for the Heaven On Earth hot spring (all that I am allowed to tell you is that it is located in the southwest corner of the park).

Yellowstone, Northwest Section

Several years ago I did Yellowstone in the early summer. Even then the ring road was packed with RV's and cars; bumper to bumper traffic. You should do the big tourist stuff, Old Faithful ect. Then get up of town. I went up to the northwest corner near Mammouth Hot Springs. Hiked in about 5 miles and spent along weekend just taking in the spectacular views.

The wildflowers were in full bloom, the weather was perfect, and I saw no more the 5 people (Germans and Brits) the entire time I was in the backcountry. It was a very memorable hike.

Two things I wished that I had been prepare for are:

Wildlife viewing: The open alpine meadows are great for viewing wildlife but I forgot to bring binoculars.

Water: The tributary of the Yellowstone I camped beside had a very high sulphur content. Not quite sure what I could have done about that.

some tips......

RoySwkr said:
The big deal in Yellowstone is geysers, mud pots, etc. We left the 1000+ miles of hiking trails pretty much alone to spend more time with features unique to Yellowstone. There is a book describing all the geysers in detail whose name escapes me.

We hiked up to Divide Lookout and saw grizzly scat, Mt Washburn which was civilized but nice.

I agree with Roy. The geysers and mudpots are just amazing, as is the wildlife. It is such a unique park. Once you walk a few yards from the roadside attractions, the crowds disapper. See Old Faithful, then get on a trail from there to see many more geysers.

Like Roy, we did Mt Washburn, elev 10,000 feet I think, a walk up a dirt road as I recall, ranger station on top. Grand Canyon of Yellowstone is worth seeing, as is Manmouth Hot Springs. Driving through Hayden Valley, we were stopped over a half hour waiting for the bison herd to pass. The bison wander amongst the cabins at Canyon.

One tip - may or may not be still true - we flew from Boston to Salt lake, then to Idaho Falls where we picked up a rental van. This was the cheapest way to get there at the time. The drive from Idaho Falls wasn't that long, and the kids got to see a little of potato country. We entered the park from West Yellowstone. We circled the park, drove to Jackson Hole - Grand Tetons - then back to Idaho Falls. A 9 day trip.

We went in July, and the first day there we all got sunburnt. What were we thinking??? The air is thin, so be careful - our first trip to the western National Parks, but we should have known better.

We'll expect a good trip report when you get back.