Old guide to white mountain region on google books

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is some pretty interesting stuff. I wish the passenger trains still ran from Boston.

That's very interesting. I bet you can't get away with using a tent made of cotton drilling these days. :eek:

Very Interesting...Thanks!

Mt Washington:

"The present prices at the hotel do not favor permanent boarders, but the tourist could hardly find a more interesting place in which to pass two or three days, if the weather is fair. He could then escape the annoyance of the queerly-assorted crowds who come up on the trains..." p.236

Moats

Thanks for posting this BLE. I have spent a great deal of time on the Moats and also did some college research there years ago. I have often wondered where the name came from. Despite significant research, I had never come across a source for the name and just assumed it may have been an old NH family or something.

That apparently is not the case. The cited reference indicates the name comes from the word "moat" used to described beaver flowages/stopages. The Moat Range is well protected at it's base with these "moats". Thanks again.

Fitz

Unfortunately this is scanned image files of 20M which are tedious to work with and not searchable. Anybody good with OCR want to turn this into a text file that would fit on a diskette or a Word file to mimic the original?

RoySwkr said:
Unfortunately this is scanned image files of 20M which are tedious to work with and not searchable. Anybody good with OCR want to turn this into a text file that would fit on a diskette or a Word file to mimic the original?

I tried to copy and paste the text file, but noticed there are lots of typos from the scanning conversion. This may hinder you a bit.

Apparently, you need to allow all of the pages of the doc to load in order to copy the whole file, which is time consuming and laborious...but someone else may have a better approach...

RoySwkr said:

If you scroll down, on the right side there is a box called "search in this book". It gives a list of links of all the pages where the term appears. When clicking on a link, the page is displayed with the search word highlighted. I can't seem to use compound terms but it seems to provide for one word searches at least.