old person

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiking with younger hikers,we may fall a bit behind on the trail,but I usually explain why.

" We're carrying more birthdays in our backpack!" :D

And when someone asks about stuff we do,and we get the response "Oh,I used to do stuff like that when I was younger",my response is look 'em in the eye with"So when did you get old?"

This is very good thread. I just want to add some punches on the afterlife. One of our neighbors in her elderly age remarked once. At the door of Heaven St. Peter asked a man wishing to enter the pearly gates. "Have you lived a honest life?" and he said yes. Then the saint asked, "Please spell Czechloslovakia". The man replied back. "I can't". St. Peter looks at him and says "go to hell".

Another thought- Helen Waite is our credit manager. If you would like credit with her go to Helen Waite.

The ages of man

"Deeds for the young men. Strategies for the middle-aged. Prayers for the old men." (Hesiod, an old Greek guy)
The author probably had war in mind, but his sentiments have some applicability to hiking and other pursuits.

(In it's original form) the following was told to me as a "dirty" joke 30 years ago by
the teacher/friend who really got me into backpacking.
I've modified it, as it makes a better life philosophy than a dirty joke;

A Young Buck and an Old Buck are grazing in a lush valley.
The Young Buck suddenly blurts out, "Let's run up there and bag a few of those peaks !"
The Old Buck looks up and states, "Let's walk up and bag them all."

My grandmother used to say "Strike Old!" As a kid, I didn't understand what she meant by that expression, but I know now she wanted the world "old" striken from one's vocabulary, so you'll not catch me saying "I'm too old to...." This philosophy must have worked for grandma because she lived until just two weeks before her 100th birthday, and most of those last years were vital, independent, adventurous ones.

None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. --Henry David Thoreau

Old age is fifteen years older than I am. --Oliver Wendell Holmes

Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative. --Maurice Chevalier

and from one of my favorite fictional characters: There's no pleasure on earth that's worth sacrificing for the sake of an extra five years in the geriatric ward of the Sunset Old People's Home. --Horace Rumpole

and from one of my favorite fictional characters: There's no pleasure on earth that's worth sacrificing for the sake of an extra five years in the geriatric ward of the Sunset Old People's Home. --Horace Rumpole

As in a fine glass of "Chateau Thames Embankment"! :D