Old Thoreau Falls Trail Question?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the Old Thoreau falls Trail crossed over before it was rerouted. I'm looking for the Northern Most section closest to the Thoreau falls.
Was there a bridge there before? Also has anyone recently crossed over by the falls to the old trail, is the trail somewhat intact?
One More question, why was the trail rerouted did it have to do with the Wilderness designation?
I looked on the lost trails website but the link was not valid.
Thanks
WSC

There was a long discussion of this recently, you might try a search

Previously there was a separate trail on the E bank to avoid the double crossing, the "reroute" just made that the official trail and closed the one on the W bank

There was a bridge at the N end when the trains ran, then it was removed, somebody in the other note said it was put back, almost certainly gone again

I haven't tried to find the crossing since the trail was closed, certainly the S crossing and the trail near there can be found

(Before you ask) I've seen the plaque alongside the old trail, part of the Wilderness Plan was whether to remove it, don't know if they did

Still there

The old trail is still on the west side. It is really wide, old RR bed, way better than the "new trail". You can make the southern crossing on some rocks if the water is not too high. The northern crossing bridge is gone.
Look at a USGS map or Topozone because they still show the old trail.

Here's the thead:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14843&highlight=Thoreau+Falls+Trail

the thread was started by Cruddy Toes and the story was completed by NH_MTN_Hiker. It was a report of a 1 day west-to-east Pemi traverse. When they got to the North Fork, they went south on the old trail to find the stepping stones, then headed back northward on the east side to get back to their car.

Lots of questions and answers about the trail crossings, but most of all a report of a great trek - one of the most impressive in a long list of impressive treks this Fall.

Last edited:
I was looking at the map you posted, it seems that the old Thoreau Trail ended where the footbridge (no longer exist) was. So if we want to follow North Fork west bank we'll need to bushwhack along it to get to Ethan Pond Tr? The goal is to avoid crossing North Folk.

Thanks

?

The currrent trail does not cross the North Fork until you get to the falls. That crossing is death at high water. You can make a crossing there if you BW upstream a little ways.
If you cross from the current trail to the old trail on the rocks described in the linked thread above you can follow that (old)trail to jumping brook but you will have to cross that and a couple of streams to get to the the falls. That is a long BW.
Where are you trying to go exactly?

We're trying to get to where RoySwkr think we're going :). We tried to cross North Fork few weeks ago but the water was too high to cross, so we're trying to find an alternate way.

Thanks.

Thanks,
I did not know that the hydrographs were online.
That is a huge help.
Thanks for all the advice
WSC

7summits said:
it seems that the old Thoreau Trail ended where the footbridge (no longer exist) was. So if we want to follow North Fork west bank we'll need to bushwhack along it to get to Ethan Pond Tr? The goal is to avoid crossing North Folk.
To avoid crossing the North Fork, you either need to bushwhack up from the suspension bridge on the Wilderness Trail or down from Thoreau Falls. Note that in either case there are tributaries you must cross. I think the easier choice is to wait for low water, certainly in summer you can usually cross the North Fork with dry feet.

RoySwkr said:
I think the easier choice is to wait for low water, certainly in summer you can usually cross the North Fork with dry feet.
A couple of winters ago, I crossed it on [dry] skis. The old [southern] crossing was frozen over.

Doug