Open Water...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Describe your first open water experience... I must say the first time I was out on the open water in my Impex Mystic (14' glass), I had the most interesting butterflys flying around in my stomach. The point where you lose sight of land and are (almost) alone sans friends is something that I never thought would be that scary. You mentally prepare yourself, but it doesn't seem to sink in. Makes one really admire those that have done solo open water crossings and other serious tasks where you must let go of that mental safety net. Land is an amazing thing! :)

It's one thing to do the AT or bike across the USA, it's another to be out on the open ocean, alone and in a tiny little kayak..

Jay

I had just bought my first kayak, a 10-foot rec model. I launched it into Tivoli Bays and followed the meandering channel, which was flanked with waving phragmates, not that deep, and very calm.
There was an outgoing tide and with some fear I rode the rushing waters under the railroad bridge and out into the Hudson River.
What a difference! Everything seemed so vast and yes...scary. I had very unfamiliar sensations of vulnerability, fear and excitement, all at once. I was very conscious of being in a tiny boat and of the fact that I was sitting level with the water. And that the river was very very deep. I could almost feel how deep it was.
I didn't last long out there. I turned and paddled back under the bridge after about 10 minutes.

The hudson isn't bad, as you can see both shores, assuming decent weather... When/if you venture into the open ocean, like in a wide bay crossing (like say the Delaware Bay), if not for the usual boat traffic, you wont see either shoreline. Then a real eeriness will settle down upon you, playing with your mind. It's weird, hard to describe, and it really is a different feeling than say being in the middle of Denali Nat Park or Wrangell St Elias alone.

Jay

In a burst of uncontrolled brain activity,I decided to launch my then new Perception Carolina into the mouth of the Kennebec at full flood tide. This was so daffy,that the park ranger offered to help me portage,rather than watch me drown in the wild current. "Nah,I'm ok with it",and off I go,getting sucked into the whirlpool behind Fort Popham,open mouth tourists,peering over the edge, watching me head to an untimely demise. I lived-it was actually pretty cool to paddle,'cause I didn't know any better!
Then,I walked back to the fort to ferry my wifes' boat( she has more sense than me).
As I land on the beach in the surf,I meet a woman on the beach who informs me" you know a woman died out here last year trying to do what your doing!"
Well,we lived,in spite of my judgement,and had a great three day kayak camping trip.
Go forward nine years...swoopy new boat NDK Explorer-same paddler.
Of course I haven't learned anything. Last year I met some folks on Beal Island in Maine,and showed them where the hiking trails were,as they hike along the edge of the island. I met up with them after their hike and asked them how it was. "We saw some lunatic out there in a yellow kayak,going through Hell Gate,right over the side(there's a four foot "waterfall" as the current passes around the island)and paddling into all that crazy water!"
Ahhh...hmm... that lunatic would be me.
"Oh...well not a lunatic,but..you know..."
:D

Last edited:
Have yet to be paddling out in open water where I can't see the shore.

Closest thing was probably one of my few sound crossings - most of them were nighttime events... at least on the way back.

One of those I headed out solo for a sound crossing starting at night on my Arctic Hawk last year - Cloudy, with 2-3' swells and waves.
The Arctic Hawk being a demanding boat to paddle, not being able to see the waves coming, having to constantly lean and sweep on the right side on the way there, having to constantly lean and sweep on the left side on the way back... my head hurt from the intensity of the focus I had to have. I couldn't see the LI shore at all and as I got nearer the seas were quartering and more waves were crashing - one of the few moments I wished I was paddling my Perception Carolina instead ;)
I turned around probably just 10-20 minutes from reaching LI - it was just too much

cbcbd said:
Have yet to be paddling out in open water where I can't see the shore.

Closest thing was probably one of my few sound crossings - most of them were nighttime events... at least on the way back.

I turned around probably just 10-20 minutes from reaching LI - it was just too much
Night paddles are definitely something that takes getting used too!. Having no visual clues makes for a very weird sensation on the water,particularly in rough water or currents.

cbcbd: The Carolina is long gone...great while we had 'em,but I wouldn't go back. I paddled one in Florida a few years ago,and I couldn't believe I slogged around in mine for 2 years.

KayakDan said:
cbcbd: The Carolina is long gone...great while we had 'em,but I wouldn't go back. I paddled one in Florida a few years ago,and I couldn't believe I slogged around in mine for 2 years.
I like my Carolina, but have been "in pain" as my kayaking season is sort of on hold as I have yet to patch up a gel-coat crack in my Arctic Hawk. I took the Carolina out recently because I had to get out on the water - it's fine and easy to paddle, but not as much fun and so much heavier.
I'm considering selling the Carolina, I only paddled it last year when I let someone paddle my AH.

Jay, folks do padle across the Delaware bay from Cape May NJ to Lewes DE. You can then load your kayak onto the ferry and ride back. I know the crossing is timed for the currents etc. Any interest? Its a long paddle and you need to make sure you can make the last ferry back. Can always take a cell phone to call my friends with boats for a rescue. I'd be much to embarrassed to call the USCG. I can only imagine the abuse at work on Monday.

Yes Daxs, I do know about the crossing. The JSSKA typically joins in a group that does it.

I would want to have more than a cell phone, particularly a Marine VHF radio and I'd probably want a longer boat for the larger swells for my comfort level.

Jay

I would prefer never do an open water crossing alone. Even with multiple people, recent practice on group and self-rescue (re-enter and roll with float is my preferred), safety gear, float plan, etc. As an owner and lover of multiple Impex boats, i would say that the Mystic is a bit less seaworthy for textured open water than their longer boats. I think of the Mystic as a closer to shore protected water design. My reasoning is that it's shorter length can possibly get stuck in the wave troughs.

For those going alone, surely be confident and capable of self-rescue and not dependent on the climb up on paddle float, which is usually practiced in calmer water and often impossible in textured water.

Last edited:
I've never paddled out of sight of land. Well, I have been out of sight of land in fog a few times and I have been down in the troughs of big waves and unable to see land several times.

But in good weather to get out of sight of land you have to paddle pretty far out. With your head about 3' out of the water you can see about 3 miles so if you are doing a crossing then it would have to be a 6+ mile crossing to lose sight of land both behind you and in front of you. Realistically though there are hills on land so you can see even farther. Around home (SE Mass) I can usually easily see the islands 6 miles off shore. So I have never really been out of sight of land. I'd have to paddle like 12 miles out to do that (6 miles past the islands). Out here in Hawaii with 4k' to 12k' mountains, you can see land 30+ miles out.

But that is in good weather. ;) I have been caught by fast moving fog banks before. Walls of fog can move in at like 20 mph. It is crazy when you see them coming in. Those times I have just used my deck compass to take a heading to land and then just follow the bearing in. It is super spooky though and the butterflies are certainly there.

I often get far enough out in crossings where you swear you are sitting still no matter how hard you paddle. When I am somewhere around a mile to 1.5 miles away from land in all directions I often get the feeling that I am not moving. You just seem to paddle and paddle and not go anywhere. Your mind starts playing tricks and you think you must be stuck in a current. It takes a little self control to calm your brain down.

I've also gotten some big butterflies when I'm in waves well over my head or breaking wind driven waves. Large smooth swells are not as dangerous as smaller breaking waves, but they still get your gut going. I love the big swells though.

So, yah, the butterflies are there. Big ocean, small boat, smaller person.

So where were you that you were out of sight of land? Was it fog / night, or were you really 6 miles off shore? Don't think I would do that solo. In fact I know I wouldn't. Not sure if I would want to do it with a group either. :eek:

- darren

One other thing....I've been 500+ miles off shore on a ship and yes, the butterflies are there if you stop and think about it. You can't help but think that if the crap hit the fan you are done for.

The ocean is an unforgiving place. No two ways about it.

"Malama i ke kai"

Take care of the ocean. Out of respect, but also out of fear.

- darren

I like the open water. I love going out a distance to paddle,if the conditions are good. There are spots in Maine,where you can be in "protected" area,but still be 3 miles from land.
I was really tempted to do the Cape Cod Bay crossing when someone posted it a year ago. Being out there didn't seem like it would be scary. I didn't so it because I thought of the endless paddle across with no destination in sight,and it sounded ..well...boring?
I like paddling in rough water,to play,not to try to make any distance.The heart starts thumping,the adrenalin surges...it's not fear,it's excitement-the challenge.
What really scares me-big boats-and fast boats. Power boats with no one paying attention,or "alcohol fueled" power boats.

Worst moment- almost being run down by the high speed Ptown Cat ferry in the Narrows in Boston. Poor judgement,and a 35kt turbine powered boat. WHo knew he could run in 8 ft of water?

Best moment-paddling in 14-16ft swells in the Gulf of Alaska,off the Kenai Fiords. Breathtaking!

darren said:

I often get far enough out in crossings where you swear you are sitting still no matter how hard you paddle. When I am somewhere around a mile to 1.5 miles away from land in all directions I often get the feeling that I am not moving. You just seem to paddle and paddle and not go anywhere. Your mind starts playing tricks and you think you must be stuck in a current. It takes a little self control to calm your brain down.

- darren

For sure, that is spooky and pretty hairy too at the same time. During Warren and I's circumnav of Vinalhaven in Penobscot bay, the second day, the fog was in and visibility was mostly a few boat lenghts, perhaps 100ft max and you can still hear the lobster boats but can't see crap. Almost expect to suddenly see somebody come rolling out of the fog!

The Cape-May Delaware crossing is 17 miles and you do lose sight of land, but it's also a major shipping channel so you have tankers and stuff.. and the ferry.

Jay

Jay H said:
The Cape-May Delaware crossing is 17 miles and you do lose sight of land, but it's also a major shipping channel so you have tankers and stuff.. and the ferry.

Jay

Seeing how Deleware is the flattest state, a 17 mile crossing would certainly put you out of sight of land! :eek:

Did you do it? Planning it? Getting ready for the English Channel?

- darren

Well, I know the JSSKA folks do a trip every year of the crossing, paddle across, take the ferry back kind of thing. they'd pick a nice weather day.. Sounds fun to do it in a very large group... but no plans as of yet.

BTW, if any of you are MITA members, check out the summer issue, you'll see a picture of Warren in it by North Haven and an article by me.

Jay

You can get out of site of land with the Delaware bay crossing. You should not run into any tankers. They are a bit more out in the bay. Yes the ferries are there. And there are alot of boats; mainly recreational fisherman. I am not sure where you land on the Delaware side if you are goin from NJ to DE. Several launcing sites from the NJ Side. You can get to paddle right by Higby Beach with the police are trying very hard to discourage nude sun bathing.

There is a marina in Cape Henlopen in DE, one could borrow the dock for the ferry (just kidding)...

Jay

Jay H said:
BTW, if any of you are MITA members, check out the summer issue, you'll see a picture of Warren in it by North Haven and an article by me.

Jay

I just flipped thu the issue ,and haven't read it yet. I'll have to check it out.
If you see the picture of the Lund Boat Races in that issue,that's me and Mrs KD on the right side of the boat.

I think we'll sail from Rockland to the Warren Island gathering this year.