OR X-gaiters question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orsonab

Reaction score
Recently bought some used X-gaiters but they came with no shock cord (or any cord!) on the bottom. Is there a special pattern I should follow for tying these on and am I right in thinking that tying two ends of a shock cord together while it's under tension is a little difficult? Anybody come up with a good technique? Any other tips or tricks people have found with these gaiters? Thanks

Tie a knot or secure the shockchord on one side of the gaitor.
Thread the other end thru a springloaded Fastex buckle. You slide the chord under your instep and then snug it with the buckle.
Good idea to carry a spare, though as shockchord tends to wear out underfoot.

PB

X Gaiters have (or at least my very old X Gaiters have) four grommets on each side of the foot.

The shock cord should be threaded from one of grommets second closest to the toe around the toe and out the mating grommet on the other side of the foot. Use a much longer length of cord than you’ll really need. (This is a real pain in the neck.)

Once the cord is threaded around the toe, leave one end about six inches long and pull the rest through the other grommet.

Run the long length of cord across to the other side of the gaiter to the grommet closest to the heel. Thread it around the heel to the other rear-most grommet. Pull it through.

At this point I pull the gaiters over my boots to get a good fit.

Snug the cord up around the boot and tie it off with a fisherman’s bend (a double bend is overkill). Again, this is much easier to do if you leave plenty of extra cord in play.

This tie-off should create the X shape that gives the gaiters its name.

Sometimes I try to snug the knot up against the appropriate rear grommet, but I find it really doesn’t matter much. (Hot tip: the gaiters continue to work well for quite a while after the cord is severed by use, because it maintains good tension on its own.)

I’ve never used the third grommets, but the first grommets, closest to the toe, I sometimes connect with cord or wire when I’m using the boots and gaiters with other than the bailed Nordic Norm bindings that clamp the front tab down. This comes into play, for example, on trips when I start on skis and change to snowshoes.

I love my Xes. I’ve had them a long, long time and they’ve served me very well.

thumbs down for the X gaitors

I bought a pair a few years ago and sent them back. They are a PITA to to put on.....just think of doing this with cold fingers..

The best thing to do is put them on your boot before your hike and leave them in place. Many seasoned mountaineers use bailing (sp?) wire to fasten them to their boots. The thin wire easily threads between the thread on the bottom of your boot and is more durable than elastic.

They can be abit bulky with the foam added and sloppy without. Dont like the idea of using them at the start of my hike...usually too warm then. I like the expedition gaitors by OR the best...

blownaway said:
. I like the expedition gaitors by OR the best...

The newer OR expedition crocodiles have one major improvement over the older version(s)--the cinch strap at the top is hook & loop and can be opened and closed with a gloved hand. That was the only thing I did not like about the early OR Exp. Crocs. The buckle on the cinch strap could be difficult to work even with bare hands. I guess OR heard the complaints.

It might be helpful to remember that X Gaiters were specifically designed 25 or more years ago as inexpensive supergaiters specifically to be worn with 3-pin Nordic Norm bailed ski bindings. This alone makes them obsolescent, and if you're thinking of using them for anything else, other gear works better.

For their purpose, they were excellent, and that insertable foam has kept my feet relatively warm, and thus me relatively happy, on many trips.

If you commit to using them, you should, indeed, leave them on your boots for convenience, as most users of standard randed supergaiters do, too.

Don't compare or confuse X Gaiters with Crocs. X-Gaiters fully cover your boots and do a great job keeping your feet warm. Crocs are excellent standard gaiters.

good point Mark. I jumped to the conclusion they were being used to hike in. For skiing they would work great...

The bailing wire is the way to go though IMO...from what I've read (on mountaineering boots) they tend to creep up on the boot abit when just using the elastic rand alone.

Actually, they are going to be used for hiking, not skiing. I bought them thinking I could use them with my Columbia Bugataboo boots to extend their cold temp. tolerance (not that I've really had a problem with cold feet with these boots). Wanted to see if I could use these boots instead of plastics when conditions called for it. Thanks for the tips - I shall have to do some experimenting with shock cord....

I met a fellow at Zealand Hut who said he had very good luck with salt water fishing (leaders)?-- the steel wire with bigger swivel clips on each end so that fish cant bite the plastic line.

They are premanufactured and its easy to carry spares.