Otter behavior

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
Anyone know how otters typically respond to predators?

This morning Iske (canine) decided to swim with the otters - must be the local lack of dolphins. I was floored to see what sure looked like the otter was playing with her: Iske would swim toward the otter. The otter would wait until Is was pretty close, then dive, only to pop up behind her - maybe 5 or 10 feet away. Is would turn around and swim to the new spot. Lather, rinse, repeat. This went on until I came to my senses and realized I needed to act responsible and put a stop to whatever was going on. When I called Iske out of the pond, the otter followed us (we were walking on the shore, the otter swam after us). It kept popping up, and again, my interpretation was that it wanted Iske to go back in - it was teasing or coaxing... or threatening? :confused:

Just wondering - is that how otters defeat predators - just tire them out? Or did the otter assume Iske was an oddly-shaped otter because she engaged in the game? Or is this wierd and I should worry that the otter is ill?

And, while I'm asking - why haven't I seen the otter all summer? They were around last winter, and I've seen the beaver all summer, but this is the first otter sighting since snow was on the ground...

:)
H

I would be interested in what predators an otter would have in New England? I cant envision anything in the water that would go after an Otter. At the risk of anthromorphosizing, I think the otter was just bored and was playing. I have encountered similiar behavior out kayaking on Flagstaff.

Mountain lions! :D

I wonder too. An adult otter is agile and quick on land (I read that in my field guide), so I agree - they are big carnivores. I don't know what might go after them... but I assumed they would have some sort of defense/response to predatory behavior from others. On land, coyotes would chase otters? Maybe? And I would guess little otters would have to worry about everything - eagles/osprey, snapping turtles, snakes... but by the time they're adults, I don't know what, besides my dog, would try to catch one in the water.

I'll head back out there with my camera (video for youtube!). It really is hilarious the way it keeps popping up behind her.

Many water mammals become playful like that. Seals swim around and under the boat while we are drifting. Dolphins / porpoises surf in the bow wake... sometime a hundred on each side. Whales will occasionally come up and take a look and then disappear. I don't think they ever exhibit playful behavior or relate to the boat in any way.

I'm guessing the otter can easily outmaneuver even the most agile swimming dog in the water and that they probably have very little to worry about, especially in the water.

Tim

This is a seriously cool thread. :)

I've never seen an otter--and would love to.

I remember seeing a silly kids movie about otter's in 2nd grade when I lived in Ohio. It inspired me to want to live in a place where otters played--and here I am in NE.

Otters rock. I'd bet they were jes playin'. :)

Some friends had both a pet (South American) otter and a pet German Shepard. The otter would run and the dog would chase it all over the yard. The dog never could catch the otter... They were great playmates.

This was a pet otter rather than a wild one, but otters are very playful. My guess is that the otter was just playing with the dog. The dog had about zero chance of actually catching the otter in the water--they are very good swimmers.

Doug

The behavior you describe seems quite normal for otters. So I would not worry much that the otter may be unhealthy. It is similar to the otter behavior I have seen in zoos. The only difference is in zoos they have other otters to play with. Assuming your dog does not behave aggressively toward the otter, it does not seem likely that any harm will come to either. In contrast their beaver cousins have no tolerance for dogs, as you probably know.

Since you live in the Hudson River Valley, I have also observed a river otter in Dutchess County at the Montgomery Place historic site. It is on the Hudson River at the mouth of the Saw Kill in Annandale-on-Hudson. I have hiked there many times in all seasons, and it is the only time I have seen an otter. I suspect individual otters may have a wide range, and so it may not be surprising that you have only spotted your otter once in warm weather. The area around Montgomery Place seems like an ideal place for an otter to live. There are many sluice ways on the Saw Kill. And the South and North Bay inlet areas of the Hudson should provide ample food.

This otter scampered across the wide lawn of the Montgomery Place estate, and dove into a reflecting pool / pond where I was photographing. He (or she) swam over to where I was, clearly to check me out. The otter seemed quite curious and hung out for a short time. I never got a good, recognizable photo other than the ripples in the water as he was swimming toward me. Anyway after a few minutes he swam away and disappeared into the woods, heading back to the Saw Kill. Perhaps he was disappointed that I didn't dive in to join him. He was alone and may have been looking for another critter to play with.

Let us know if you get any good photos or videos.

edit: You might want to report your sighting to the DEC. There is an email address on the following web page: Otters in the Hudson River Watershed. I reported my sighting to them about 7 or 8 years ago. I don't believe I ever heard back, but I think they would be interested in any photos you may obtain.

Last edited:
There are otters in Alder Lake. We ran into a couple who were camping there and had seen them a number of times. Also saw what looked like otter scat on shore rocks.

Seems unanimous :) Harry (Flammeus named him Harry Otter) was playing.

We haven't seen him/her since the other day (hence no pics), but last winter we had a family of four that spent the winter on the pond. I am hoping they'll be back. The locals tell us of the slide they constructed, and the route around the pond on the road to get to the top of the slide. These guys take their playing seriously!

I was worried mostly because anytime a dog goes after any animal in earnest, it would seem that an aggressive defense could be expected. I didn't think Iske could catch the otter in the water (no way!!!), but I was worried that she would get so focused on trying she might exhaust herself... and I ain't swimming in to get her!

I was told that a frightened beaver would drown (or attempt to drown) predators. Is that true?

I do try, in general, to keep the dogs away from all wildlife. I believe it is best for all, despite the disney-style romance of seeing my dogs playing with "nature". I try to limit my own encounters with wildlife to photography... although I don't always succeed. Not that I'm out there petting bambi every morning :) but I have picked up my share of snakes and newts and toads, when they were probably best left alone. I did free a cedar waxwing that got stuck in a fence... so it isn't a total absolute never ever touch rule with me... but I do try to be responsible about the dogs because their touch can be unpredictable at best.

After 17 years in Dutchess County (Dover Plains), I moved to the Catskills one year ago. I loved the hemlock ravine that ran from my old house (atop Chestnut Ridge) to my new house in the village - it was a wild and intense place - but in terms of wildlife it just doesn't compare to my new home in Krumville. I see (and hear) totally cool critters daily.

When I was a kid I wanted to live in a national geographic documentary - I wanted my life to be a series of intimate wildlife encounters. Living here in the Catskills is like having that wish come true -of course it gets lived in between doing the laundry and walking the dogs, but that's cool. It's all good :)

I have heard of a large beaver attempting to drown a dog in a farm pond, but there were kits(baby beavers) involved. Otters are playful, but I'd take care if their young are involved.
They are often in the Upper Upper East branch Delaware where I live. Lots of fun to watch, but a magnet for trappers :mad:

Shawsheen River

I have had the privelege of watching otters on the Shawsheen River in Andover, Ma. for a long time. They come and go. They go where the fish are. When they've cleaned out an area, they move along. One time I watched a couple of babies play in a shopping cart someone had thrown in the river. They played tag round and round the thing for what seemed like hours. I'm pretty sure this one you saw was just playing with the "Big Otter", your dog.

1otter.jpg

KDT

Twice, while fly fishing from a float tube, I've been attacked by an otter.
It very likely was the same one both times as it was in the same pond only two weeks apart.
From what I understand, a human in a float tube both looks and sounds like an otter... at least to another otter. So I'm sure this fellow was just defending his territory
There was a lot of growling and snarling on his part and even more yelling and thrashing of the water on mine.
Then we both went our separate ways. Me a little faster, I'm sure

:eek:

As for drowning dogs - I used to read that a RACCOON might do that to a hunting dog. But it could just be another of those stories that gets passed along.....

Cool thread. Everything I've read about river otters indicates that they are sociable (w/ one another) and playful-their mud slides apparently have no purpose other than play. I've never been lucky enough to see a mud slide or an otter at play, but I have twice seen otters in my area-once swimming on the Wallkill River, where the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail bridge crosses over (I was standing on the bridge). The other time (just about 6 weeks ago) was also on a WVRT bridge, the one over the Plattekill, which is a little creek which drains the Jenkinstown area of New Paltz and runs into the Wallkill. All part of the Hudson watershed. I dutifully reported my sighting to DEC just now, via the e-mail on Mark's link. Hope to see more otters.

Matt

Last edited:
Yup - otters are awesome. About 20 years ago my sister claims to have seen them in Turkey Lake (south of Ulster/Orange counties, in Harriman State Park, right by the traffic circle), but up here last winter was my first in-the-wild sighting. To see it "play" with Iske just lit up our whole week. If only I'd been certain they were both playing, I think it could have gone on much longer. Argh - sometimes I hate being responsible!

No sign of one since - at least temporarily moved on, I guess. Today's sighting was a green heron.

I will definitely be on the lookout for otters in and around New Paltz now. They will probably show up outside Mexicali Blues, panhandling for fish tacos. ;)

halia and flammeus said:
I will definitely be on the lookout for otters in and around New Paltz now. They will probably show up outside Mexicali Blues, panhandling for fish tacos. ;)

I think that area is pretty well covered already. But good luck with otter sightings. Just plant yourself on one of the rail trail bridges for awhile and maybe you'll luck out.

Matt

If you sit on the bridge over the Walkill in New Paltz, you can see the Gilded Otter anytime you want! Does that count?

Jay :p