Overflow camping at Greenleaf

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnclimber

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can camp at the Greenleaf Hut on the Franconia Ridge? I have heard different stories and would like to head there this weekend.

The WMNF rules do not allow camping within 1/4 mi. of all huts, so I guess the short answer is no.

I've never done any camping on Old Bridal Path but I imagine there must be some good candidate spots outside of the 1/4 mile forest protection area. I was staying at the hut a few years back and recall some campers staying nearby. They had to come into the hut because of a violent thunderstorm that night. You can only camp on the ridge itself in winter on snowpack.

You need to be 200 feet from the OBP and Falling Waters as well, which eliminates much of the terrain on the way up. There's one obvious illegal spot just before the FPA on the way up, but I think it has been posted revegitation area by now. Regardless, avoid that one.

If you go 1/4 mile from the hut down the Greenleaf trail there are some legal spots in the woods.

-dave-