Overnight on Chocorua

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

above_tree_line

Reaction score
I'm planning an overnight this weekend, lv Friday and return Sat. Would like to do something on Chocorua (in that region at least). Any ideas where to park and camp?

The Piper trailhead on Rte 16 seems like a good place to leave a car overnight. The Piper Trail takes you up past Camp Penacook, though I don't know if that's still maintained. Alternately, you can take the Piper/Weetamoo/Hammond/Liberty route up to Jim Liberty "Cabin"; I'm pretty sure that's still in use.

Both are reasonably high up and less than an hour's hike from the summit. I imagine the summit would be pretty deserted (for a change) early on Saturday morning.

Cheers, Bob K

Overnite High

I have made a similar trip in Falls past and camped on the summit.

There are a few bivvy sites just large enough for one person in a bivvy sack and the locaiton is truly spectatular.

Since the top is all rock, the sites are hard and LNT is possible.

Only drawback can be the wind, which might keep to awake.

cb

According to the Official regs, there is no camping allowed in the Chocorua Scenic Area except at Jim Liberty and Camp Penacook. I don't have the maps in front of me but I imagine that the summit is inside the Scenic Area. Even if it isn't, I think it wouldn't be allowed because of the above treeline rule.

-dave-

Yup, the summit is included in the designated scenic area. Pretty much the whole mountain is included. You can camp on Brook and Liberty Trails up to about 1700'. Stay at Pennacook or Liberty Cabin if you want to be legal.