Overnight Parking Near Lily Pond?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
Looking at an overnight hike out Sawyer River way from the Kanc and plan to start out near Lilly Pond to avoid the Swift River crossing. Is there somewhere to park a car overnight (off the road) near there? Google maps shows a pull-off but no real parking area and who knows what shape it would be in with all this snow we've not been having...

There are pull-off spaces on each side of the Kanc that will easily hold a few cars. One on the Lily Pond side and the other directly across the road at Livermore Trail head.

I was there a week ago and there was no snow or snowbanks at either.

cb

Thanks Chris. Saw the pull-offs on Goggle Maps (amazing) but had concerns of parking there overnight if we get any snow. A little concerned about returning to a plowed in car.. :( Hoping for a true lot but can't really think of one close by.

Looking at an overnight hike out Sawyer River way from the Kanc and plan to start out near Lilly Pond to avoid the Swift River crossing. Is there somewhere to park a car overnight (off the road) near there? Google maps shows a pull-off but no real parking area and who knows what shape it would be in with all this snow we've not been having...

Stash: If your plan was to cross the Swift on the bridge on the Upper Nanamacomuck XC ski trail, I read a couple of week ago that the bridge was washed away by Irene. If that is your plan I would check with the Saco Ranger station.

confused...why the need to avoid crossing the river on the SRT? Since it's such a short distance from the trailhead, I would suggest taking a quick hike down to check it out. I've crossed there in high water without problems, and level is not at all high these days.

A little concerned about returning to a plowed in car.. :( Hoping for a true lot but can't really think of one close by.
Even with a true lot you can get plowed in, so it's wise to bring as many shovels as you have shovelers :) Not just entrenching tools but full size shovels, with at least one steel shovel or mattock in case things freeze up

If I recall correctly the space at Lily Pond is wide enough to park perpendicular to the road, so you don't need as wide a cut through the drift

Stash: If your plan was to cross the Swift on the bridge on the Upper Nanamacomuck XC ski trail, I read a couple of week ago that the bridge was washed away by Irene. If that is your plan I would check with the Saco Ranger station.

Thanks for that note. Did a search and found a report from "Wild Mountain Wanderers" that includes a few pictures. Looks like it's in one piece but a bit displaced... http://www.wildmountainwanderers.com/2011/11/upper-nanamocomuck-ski-trail-sawyer.html

Last edited:
confused...why the need to avoid crossing the river on the SRT? Since it's such a short distance from the trailhead, I would suggest taking a quick hike down to check it out. I've crossed there in high water without problems, and level is not at all high these days.

It's short to the crossing but 2 hours from the house. I've done the walk down from the pond in winter for a day hike and it worked quite well.

The last time I was there the river was quite frozen but there was still a bit of hopping and creaking as we crossed. I haven't been there yet this winter but would not expect solid ice.