Owl's Head and Garfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
This is my first trip report on this site and it sure is a good one!
My friend Andy and I arrived at the Lincoln trailhead around 8:30pm on Friday night and instead of staying at Hancock Campground as planned, we started hiking down the Franconia Brook Trail. We decided to set up camp near the Franconia Falls Campground as we both were using hammocks and did not disturb the area. It was a cold night but our sleeping bags did their job and we slept well until sunrise around 6:30am.
We woke up, made breakfast with my new JetBoil and Mountain House meals, and get on our way up the Franconia Brook Trail. We met up with a man named Aaron who was hiking up Owl's Head for his final 4Ker and decided to hike with him. The Owl's Head Slide was fairly well marked with a small cairn and the word "owl" written in rocks. The slide was definitely tough but we made it through it with amazing views the whole way! We got down, made some lunch, said goodbye to Aaron, and kept going on the Lincoln Brook Trail. We took a short break at 13 Falls to admire the waterfalls and then continued up the Franconia Brook Trail towards Garfield. After a tiring and chilly hike up to Garfield, we dropped our bags at the campsite and continued up to the top of Garfield to watch the sunset. Amazing views and dinner at the top really made the day worth it! We saw a few shooting stars in the incredible sky before falling asleep early.
We woke up at 6:15 on Sunday to watch the sun rise from the bench at the Garfield campsite. Once again we were amazed at the show mother nature put on for us. After a short breakfast we headed back down the Franconia Brook Trail to 13 Falls. We checked out most of the falls before I decided it would be a good idea to show off for the camera. I did a backflip off of one of the falls into the freezing water to add a little amusement to my day! The air actually wasn't too cold compared to the water. After drying off and getting a few more pics we headed down the Franconia Brook Trail to the Lincoln trailhead. I noticed a black GMC truck with a VFTT sticker on the back. If you are reading this and that is your truck, what did you hike this weekend?
In conclusion, we had an amazing weekend with no rain and a lot of sights. These two mountains were my 8th and 9th 4Kers so I plan on coming up a lot more. I hope you enjoyed my report and I can't wait to post more! You can see my pictures from this trip at http://photobucket.com/albums/a265/ltb15/Owls Head and Garfield/

Nice report and pics (what *did* happen after "just hanging around" ?).

Looks like you had an amazing trip - keep at it and enjoy the peaks that the lists bring you to.

Of course, starting with that beautiful weather, well ... you'll see what else the Whites can offer. :D

Haha, I made it out without getting wet but I did get a little wet later in the day! As for the weather, I hiked Willey, Field, Tom, Zealand, and the three Bonds a month ago in the rain without getting any views so I appreciated this weekend!

13 Falls was one of my favorite parts of the White Mountains that I have seen so far. Waterfall after waterfall provides endless rock-hopping opportunities and some nice swimming pools. I did a backflip off of one of the waterfalls yesterday which was definitely freezing but it woke me up instantly! I got a video of it which makes me happy but I don't think I can post it to this site. Anyways, 13 Falls is a must see for anyone who likes relaxing by the river!

Owl's head signs and Lincoln Brook Trail

Three women hiked the Lincoln Brook and Franconia Brook Trails on Tuesday, Sept. 20th. Maybe because of the rain we couldn't see the sign, but we saw no caron and no sign at the beginning of the Owl's Head slide trail. We found the Lincoln Brook Trail north of the Owl's Head slide Trail junction very wet and rough. The 13 Falls were indeed beautiful and bountiful in the rain. The beaver dam just north of the southern junction of the two trails could be crossed on foot.
In two days we crossed the Pemigewasset River north of Franconia Brook Tentsite :eek: three times, getting water over the top of our boots every time. If you intend to go that way, be sure to wear gaitors.

Sounds like a fun hike! How'd your knees do? We should hike the Bonds again in better weather:)