Owl's Head-Bondcliff. Suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I might do an Owl's Head to Bondcliff hike this weekend from Lincoln Woods and was wondering if anyone had any information about Owl's Head they might want to share.

Like, does OH actually have a summit? Is there a trail? A slide? Are there any bugs?

If you hike at book time it should take you like 28 hours. Do you have a space blanket?

28 hours for a day hike? Obviously you're pulling my leg.

I have received numerous space blankets as xmas gifts over the years but somehow am unable to find any of them currently.

I heard that Rejean did the exact same hike in 9 hours.

I have received numerous space blankets as xmas gifts over the years but somehow am unable to find any of them currently..
Didn't you use them all up in the Sawtooth range?

I heard that Rejean did the exact same hike in 9 hours
Yeah but he is Canadian..you have to account for the time space continuum when crossing the border.

I think your best bet is to bring someone along to dig a big-azz snow pit so you can get enough fresh water.

No slide if you approach from the East!;)

Hi Dave!

I thought I'd approach from the Lincoln brk. trail and use OH as a speed bump en route to bigger and better Bond things. That little slide looks like a real winner!

Should I take my camera?

Always!;) Got to pet that young moose that was headed for a journey of its own on the slide one time last year. Consoled it some and got it over into the foliage. Not a moose whisperer like Forest Gnome but felt bad because it was badly dehydrated.

Pretty sweet woods coming down off Liberty to it in February but someone might think your hacking and blazing. I did hear if you get down in by the south and middle branches of Liberty Brook near the remains of the Johnson Logging Camp you find a fairly good size bruin population! Be careful if you pet them!;)

28 hours for a day hike? I heard that Rejean did the exact same hike in 9 hours.

I could well have missed the Rejean post referred to, but the post I remember him making was for a trip up over Lincoln then down and up the slide to the Owl's Head summit and then back up Lincoln and out. I don't remember the time he gave.

From time to time someone will post a time in the 9 hour range out and back from Lincoln Woods. If you can come in from Lincoln Woods go up over Owl's Head from the west and down the east side and then up to Bondcliff and back out to Lincoln Woods in 9 hours I think you deserve to walk around with a BIG S painted on the chest of those blue tights and red cape that you wear.:D

At last report there is a cairn at the "true" summit right now, but once up there you will find the ridge fairly flat.

I heard that Rejean did the exact same hike in 9 hours.

9 hours for only OH, it was Pin Pin who take 9 hours for that hike,
Lincoln wood-Owls Head-Bonds and return to the Pin Pin mobile...

Like, does OH actually have a summit? Is there a trail? A slide?

owls head probably has a summit somewhere though there has been some question about where that point is. the slide up from lincoln brook has some nice views up to franconia ridge. that standard route to owls head is really clear below and above the slide and for all intensive purposes should be considered a trail. once at the site that was formerly considered the summit there are pretty obvious herd paths continuing on to the "new" summit. there are some open talus/ledge areas on the east slopes and if you were to find one on your descent the views to the bonds would probably be pretty awesome.
sounds like a cool hike you're putting together. 9 hours would be pretty bad ass.

bryan

Thanks for the TR. What is the Black Pond bushwhack? It sounds like a flagged trail.

I was planning on going up the slide.

The Black Pond bushwhack is one of two whacks that permits you to avoid two river crossings. It has nothing to do with the slide. There is a whack up the mountain called the Brutus bushwhack but it is mostly used in the winter in order to avoid the slide. You will do just fine going up the slide at this time of year.

There is a trail into Black Pond, from there you do the whack over to the Lincoln Brook trail. There is apparently some flagging in there but that is not the best way to go. If you look you will find numerous TRs that talk about the BP whack. The second whack called the fisherman's whack takes the trail into Franconia Falls then basically follows the Lincoln Brook until you meet the Lincoln Brook trail. There are numerous comments on this approach also.

Last edited:
Got it. Thanks. I remember 2 crossings (same stream) from last March and wondered about whacking around them to the right in the future.

I'll stick with the slide.

Got it. Thanks. I remember 2 crossings (same stream) from last March and wondered about whacking around them to the right in the future.

I'll stick with the slide.

Neil it will be a long whacking, the first brook crossing is Franconia Brook,
after you cross Lincoln Brook and about 2 miles further you cross again
Lincoln brook. Last saturday the crossing went well with the boots, just
a little bit of water on Lincoln brook.

Neil it will be a long whacking, the first brook crossing is Franconia Brook,
after you cross Lincoln Brook and about 2 miles further you cross again
Lincoln brook. Last saturday the crossing went well with the boots, just
a little bit of water on Lincoln brook.

Ahhh-ha, now I see I was referring to a totally different brook that feeds into Franconia (near Camp 9 on FBT). Anyway, I'm sticking with the Lincoln Brook Trail all the way to below the slide.

Thanks for the TR. What is the Black Pond bushwhack? It sounds like a flagged trail.

I was planning on going up the slide.

Neil, the bushwhack from Black Pond is easy in open deciduous forest; almost flat. Just head approx. magnetic north from Black Pond and you will pick up an old road and come out at the crossing of Lincoln Brook near a camping area or old logging camp. Total of only one mile with herdpaths on either end but not in the middle. Total RT to OH is 15.4 miles and 3180 ft ascent. By GPS the new summit is about 70 ft higher than the AMC summit, following an obvious herdpath about 15 minutes up the ridge. You can get to the summit in less than 4 hours.

Neil, the bushwhack from Black Pond is easy in open deciduous forest; almost flat. Just head approx. magnetic north from Black Pond and you will pick up an old road and come out at the crossing of Lincoln Brook near a camping area or old logging camp. Total of only one mile with herdpaths on either end but not in the middle. Total RT to OH is 15.4 miles and 3180 ft ascent. By GPS the new summit is about 70 ft higher than the AMC summit, following an obvious herdpath about 15 minutes up the ridge. You can get to the summit in less than 4 hours.

I see that on the map quite clearly and see it spares the FB and a LB crossing. It looks tempting actually, might shave off some distance. However, it seems like the crossings are not a worry right now.