Owl's head trail run 11/03

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Well today was the day I've been waitng for to finally do Owl's head. Cloudy with a chance of showers.After last weeks run I felt confident I could run most of the flats. I must say this was a rather unpleasant ordeal. I am usually the most joyous hiker, thrilled to be alive and in the mountains. Maybe it was the weather,maybe it was the time of year, or maybe owl's just plain sucks. The Wilderness, Franconia brook and Lincoln brook trails were wet and muddy, especially as you get close to the slide.The river crossings were fairly difficult if you did not want to get your feet wet.Factor in trying to portage Tuck across the icy and submerged rocks in sneakers,very difficult.We both took a bath 3 times on the big crossings.Tuck HATES to get wet, I had to give him about 5 large cookies when we got home so he would forgive me. I guess it worked because he is lying at my feet as I type these words.Carter on the other hand was quite adept at jumping/swimming across, I think he tought it was great fun.
I ran the 3 miles on the wilderness trail to the bridge. This trail is usually dry but by the time I got to the bridge my feet were already wet and muddy.After that I was mostly running until the trails were too wet and muddy to do so. Fairly soaked after the crossing debacles, we finally made the slide.Greeted by steep, loose scree and several icy sections, many trees across the trail, we carefully made it to the summit plateau.The trail is fairly easy to the old summit,the next 1/4 mile to the new summit is a maze of faint herd paths that are somewhat hard to follow. On the way back we lost the path and got turned around twice, no thanks to my trail dogs.Carefully jogging back down the slide and finally back to the mud.Starting running intervals when the trail allowed, then the going got somewhat easier.On the way back I said screw the trying to rock hop with Tuck at the crossings and portaged him through the shallower spots while Carter swam,jumped.Quickly back out to wilderness trail and kept up the short intervals till the end. I was tired over the last few miles, probably from too much full court basketball yesterday, and my legs felt like spaghetti. Round trip time 5:20, I was very happy with that and glad I had finally knocked off this peak.Even more glad to be back at the car!

Impressive run, and very funny picture. I can't fathom running that far in that short of a time, especially in such muddy/wet conditions. Congratulations on your success, even though you didn't exactly have great fun.

Man...that's some impressive s**t! I hate having wet feet. kudos to you!!! Oh yeah, nice pic!!! my new favorite!:cool:

Nice job! I remember trail running this 2 years ago in reasonably dry conditions and with low water crossings. Still, it took me 6 hours so that speaks volumes for my trail running speed. Ever think of holding this as an annual event? :eek:

I'm all for the idea of an annual event , but I'd be more inclined for a Presi traverse!

The conditions in the Whites are probably gonna prevent much running now so I'll probably stick to local stuff like Blue Job and the Belknaps. I'm trying to cook up a good 18 + mile hike for Monday or Tuesday. If your available I'll send you the details.

The conditions in the Whites are probably gonna prevent much running now so I'll probably stick to local stuff like Blue Job and the Belknaps. I'm trying to cook up a good 18 + mile hike for Monday or Tuesday. If your available I'll send you the details.

Crap..I gotta work monday and tuesday.....I'm thinking maybe southern presis next sunday the 16th (starting with Jefferson via Capps) if you are interested?? Maybe Jefferson to Eisenhower? Lots a good runnin' on the Crawford Path. :)

Very entertaining trip report and photo, Sasquatch. And, superb clock time, especially given the trail conditions. I wonder if you could have shaved a few minutes off your time with Tuck by using the BP bushwhack, which is not all that runnable, but certainly easier than the three big river crossings (times two) that it replaces.

I'm sure that would have saved time, but I'm really a novice whacker and would hesitate to embark on a whack by myself. I need to go out with some more experienced hikers to really gain confidence in that area.

I'm sure that would have saved time, but I'm really a novice whacker and would hesitate to embark on a whack by myself. I need to go out with some more experienced hikers to really gain confidence in that area.

The BP "bushwhack" is not really much of a whack, and although not a blazed trail, it is developing a fairly decent tread most of the way. Also, I bet your dogs could scent this route as if it were a trail, too. :D

Last edited:
I think you would enjoy reading the thread "Owl's Head - last ones to see the summit sign!" that Dave and Al of this board wrote last year.:cool: Dave goes by Alspal.

nicely done!

I expierienced very similar conditions on tues decending the great gulf trail on my way back to pinkham. there was a fair amount of snow blown in over the headwall and it was so slick it was almost impossible to run till the intersection with the wamsutta. anyway, nice report. keep em comin

Ryan

Winter is here!

Yesterday we encountered snow, up to 2 inches. Although it was a hike I realized I'll probably have to wait until a good base and packed trails until I can resume running 4 k peaks. Is winter trail running an option?Snowshoes?Microspikes? Bare boot?Any input would be appreciated.