Owls Head

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
I need to start getting in some trail time and was thinking of Owls Head since I haven't done it yet. Does anyone know if there are any stream crossings I need to be concerned about if I come in from the Kanc?

Also, if anyone was interested, I was thinking of next Friday or Saturday.

I was just looking into the bushwack along Franconia Brook from the falls.

Owl's Head is one I haven't done but this bushwack sounds pretty straight forward. If this is not so, I hope to be corrected.

And, next Friday (May 20) looks good for me right now. Send me a PM if you want.

In my meanderings around Owls Head I've always taken the main trails. As Kevin said, the water this time of year is bone chilling. I brought sneakers, a plastic bag and a towel and managed pretty well. The two worst are fairly close together... you will have to wade in, no rock hopping this time of year unless you have extra long legs. I've never done the Black Pond Bushwhack but I have come across people that have gotten lost in there for hours. Once by an "experienced" trip leader. If you don't have a good map and compass I wouldn't attempt it.

I dug out of the archives from three years ago a thread on the AMC website dealing with Owls Head that SherpaK initiated. It is fun reading and very timely. See it! I went in via Bklack Pond and back via Franconia Falls. There is an old path along the river that gets more pronounced and easier to follow as you get closer to Franconia Falls. You just keep the river on your left on the return.

I'm doing an AMC trip on 5/28 to Owl's Head and we're doing the Black Pond bushwack in (really quite easy. straight, flat, and not very dense) and the Fisherman's herd path to Franconia Falls out. Doing it this way makes for a great variation, a more interesting hike, and avoids the messy crossings. :)

I have just this thought to add about bushwacking: if a particular bushwack has come so far as to be plotted on a topo map, is it still a bushwack, or is it now a new trail? I haven't done any bushwacking in this area and so don't have first-hand information, but from an LNT perspective, we should all avoid commonly used bushwacks or abandoned trails so that new trails are not created unintentionally. That's just my two cents worth.

I did Owl's Head with the Black Pond bushwhack and it wasn't difficult on the way in. There is not an obvious trail once you get into the woods but you just pull out the compass and head straight north and eventually you'll find your way out to the main trail. You can (very) occaisionally see Owl's Head through the trees so it confirms you're headed in the right way. It didn't save us a whole heck of a lot of time but cut down the mileage a little bit. I think that trying to bushwhack on the way out would be a lot more difficult. We ended up just following the trail back out.

I'd agree with the assessment that the water is bone chilling. We did this hike last summer and my feet were aching from crossing the streams because the water was so cold. I can't even imagine what it would be like at this time of year!

- Ivy

Thanks to all!! Especially the .jpg and askus that was a perfect thread to help me decide and Hunter for bringing it up even if you have to wait a week.

I had been avoiding Owl's Head and now am actually looking forward to it.

I've decided Black Pond in and probably follow Franconia Brook out.