Owl's Head

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-ben-

Reaction score
I was thinking on doing Owl's Head sometime soon.How long does this hike usually take?I know it's high mileage,but of what I understand most of it is fairly flat.Thanks ahead of time for the tips.

You can shorten it by going to Black Pond and doing a fairly easy bushwach north to the Lincolin brk tr, a bit more difficult on th way out.

Do a search, there was a good thread on the BW about a month ago.

The first 8 miles follow the trails built on railroad grades and so can be done fairly quickly. The footing varies from as-good-as-a-sidewalk to just a little rocky and rooty in spots.

The last mile goes straight up the slide and is slow and steady. Footing is loose and variable, and after topping the slide there's still another steep ascent with a lot of rock and root stepping. Once on the ridgeline it's just a few minutes to the top.

Then reverse.

Your time will vary. Look for recent trip reports by myself and by HikerBob from the same day for time details and photos.

If the streams are low and it doesn't look like the crossings will be difficult, it is faster (in my opinion) to stay on the trails and move quickly than to take the Black Pond bushwhack.

7-9 hours ? (cough)

Well, as MichaelJ said, I did this recently and it took me a shade over 12 hours. However, I took a zillon (OK - close to 100) photographs, had a good lounge or two and I slowed down on the way out (even for me!) to stay close to a young couple the female half of which was having a hard time.

Any-hoo - If I can do it in 12 hours anybody can, and probably a lot quicker :)

Never done the bushwhack but seeing the vegetation growth at this time of year I'd say you wouldn't save much, if any, time.

If you are interested my pics can be found HERE

Bob

I was part of a large group that did this hike in July. The main body left the trailhead around 8AM and got back around 6 PM. (I actually jogged the first few miles and caught up at the first major stream crossing, having left the trailhead an hour or so after the main group).

It's eighteen miles round trip, so for planning purposes, budget at least nine hours unless you're comfortable with the idea of forcing your pace all day long. It's a pretty long hike, so plan on slowing down for water breaks and lunch, plus two significant water crossings. Ten hours ain't bad, though a fast hiker can surely do better.

Much of the trail is dead flat and very wide, so if you do like to go fast this is a good hike to push your pace on.

I don't think the bushwhack would save you any time, though I've never tried it myself.

Depends probably on how fast you usually walk & how fast you want to hike.

The first five to six miles are very similar to walking in town, some of it you could even jog if you were so inclined. I usually think of doing the LW/Wilderness Trail at 3 MPH, the next two at 2.5 MPH & then about 1 MPH for the slide.

Thanks for all your replies.I am a fairly quick hiker so I think I will push myself a little on this one.Sounds like I could do this under 10 hours....

I was with Nartreb. Make sure you are prepared for the river crossings. We had a lot of rain before we went so the trail was wet and the crossings high.

Whenever I hike to the Bonds or Owl's Head or 13 Falls, etc., I ride a bike to the wilderness boundary and stash it. It saves time on the way in and makes longer dayhikes possible. On the way out you can almost coast all the way on the bike, which makes my feet happy. :)

Happy Trails!

Just remember that if you're pursuing the 4000-footer club list, using the bike invalidates the summit. To check it off the list you have to walk from Lincoln Woods.

The thing to do with the crossings is just carry a pair of sandals or Waldies or perhaps you prefer to be barefoot. These crossings don't need to rise much to get you wet - they can still be very safe and unchallenging, but not rock-hoppable.

Franconia Brook crossing