Pack Sizes cu...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMartman

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone uses for a multi day backpacking trip? How many cu. for say a 3-4 day backpacking trip.

I am looking to go pretty lightweight. No "ultra" light because I enjoy some comforts, but would certianly like to go lighter than say the Arcteryx Bora 80 that I currently use for trips of this length. I have a marmot eiger pack that hovers somewhere round 2400cu and am hoping to pare down to something along that size.

just wanted to know what everyone else was using..

thanks..

M

I have an Osprey Atmos 50 that I use on dayhikes and overnights. Depends how light you want to go, but if your pack weight is under 30lbs the Atmos would be good for 3-4 days. I'd also look at the Osprey Aether 60, might be a better choice if you want to bring a few amenities.

I use a GoLite FastPack. 3200 in^3 + 400 in^3 Volume in the medium size. It's just over 2 lbs. Mind you, I tend try and be minimalist on most my trips.

How tall are you? Makes a big difference. I'm 6'4" so my clothes and sleeping bag take up a lot of room. No way I'm getting by with 2400 for 4 days and I travel fairly light if I leave the camera gear at home.

- darren

ps: I moved this thread to GENERAL Backcountry because it is a gear question and not specific to the Northeast so it doesn't belong in Q&A.

4000 ci (65 l.) and 35lbs seems to be as low as I can go with tent, bag, bear canister, stove, fuel, food, water and supplies. I go solo or am carrying the bulk of the gear for my boys, so it would be lighter/smaller if I partnered.

darren said:
How tall are you? Makes a big difference. I'm 6'4" so my clothes and sleeping bag take up a lot of room. No way I'm getting by with 2400 for 4 days and I travel fairly light if I leave the camera gear at home.

- darren

ps: I moved this thread to GENERAL Backcountry because it is a gear question and not specific to the Northeast so it doesn't belong in Q&A.

Cool on the move wasnt sure where to post it....

Anyway I am roughly the same size, im 6'3 and about 200, but I can get away with "stinking" for the 3-4 days so wouldnt need much in the way of "extra" clothing, just the essentials and some "emergency" type clothing. I have packs as mentioned for both big and small trips but would like to go way small from now on.

I saw a guy recently on the AT (a thru hiker started in Georgia) his pack was at least half the size of my Bora 80...he was WAY ultralight...he practically RAN past my group.

This is the age old question..Does size matter? HA
:D

M

Chip said:
4000 ci (65 l.) and 35lbs seems to be as low as I can go with tent, bag, bear canister, stove, fuel, food, water and supplies. I go solo or am carrying the bulk of the gear for my boys, so it would be lighter/smaller if I partnered.

I dont pack a tent, but occassionally pack my bibler bivy which is about 2lbs but packs small. I like you carry most of the "junk" for others too which occassionally makes me angry especially when they are way ahead of me :(

M

I can get away easily with a 3500 cu pack. Remember, whatever size pack that you buy, you will fill it up. I have a small 1900 cu pack that I use for single nights in the summer season - its awesome. Feels like I have a heavy day pack on.