Paddling clothing/gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
So what exactly do people wear while on the water? I've got got some paddling experience but it pales in comparison to my hiking experience. My summer job, however, is going to consist of overnight trips involving some paddling, and I'd like to be as prepared as possible, and I have an opportunity through my job to pro-deal some paddling gear for cheap that I'd like to take advantage of.

If figure that paddling clothing probably isn't too much different than hiking clothing in terms of layering- base, insulating, and waterproof layers when needed. I've got a couple of questions though:

Concerning Neoprene, in particular booties and gloves. How necessary are they to have in the summer? Do people wear them regularly, bring them and wear them only when needed, or not bring them at all during the warmer months? I've got Tevas and a pair of regular water shoes, but no gloves, and I've been looking at some of the NRS water shoes and gloves and they look pretty nice. How necessary is a fancy water shoe? Are gloves that necessary to prevent blisters?

I also need a decent life vest. I've been looking at Kokatat, NRS, Astral, and Extrasport Life Vests. Does anyone have any experience with these brands? I'm looking for something that will be comfortable and functional; I don't really have any experience with swift water paddling but it's something I'd like to get in to, so something that would serve well for that too would be good. Something that will last me for some time to come as well, since I think that moneywise this will be the bulk of my purchase. I'm leaning towards the Kokatat brand, as they seem to be well made, and I like the optional hydration system attachment. I've been looking at at the Guide and ProFIT models (product page here), since I can get them for cheap and they seem to be top of the line, but they are listed as "Type V" Life Jackets. My understanding is that the higher the type number, the more limited the use of the flotation device. Would I be better off with one of their regular "Type III" jackets, such as the OutFIT Tour?

Also, dry bags that can be carried as backpacks: Are they worth it? Dry bags will be supplied as part of my job for use during the summer, but I may invest in some of my own anyways since they aren't a bad investment. I can get either NRS dry bags or (more expensive) Outdoor Research dry bags- do people here have a preference?

Last but not least, any particular wisdom about paddling clothing and gear would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also, what is the difference between a Dry Bag and a Dry Sack?

Like hiking, what I wear depends upon the weather and conditions. It also depends on water temperature which can pose a risk even in warm weather, especially if you capsize and don't recover quickly.

Others can describe the merits of dry suits and wet suits better than I. My most dramatic underlayer is neoprene shorts and a neoprene t-shirt, generally for the shoulder seasons when water temps are still pretty cool. Then I layer consistent with air temperature and wind wearing much the same clothing as I would hiking (long johns or t-shirt, convertible pants or shorts, nylon or wool shirt, fleece vest or sweatshirt, raingear etc.). The life jacket represents a final layer which might make one or more of the "hiking layers" redundant.

As long as the vest is CG approved, then the most important factors are, comfort, features (I like pockets) and I prefer a highly visible color to help minimize any search :eek: ... I'm never on the water without it ... as ex-Coast Guard it's in my dna. I've got an emergency whistle attached and would recommend a light or other signaling equipment if you are sea kayaking on open water. I believe type III would be most appropriate. The major difference in a higher type is that it keeps your head out of the water if you are unconscious. I don't believe the tradeoff in comfort, bodily restriction or extra heat is worth it; there are some inflatable versions, however, but inflate it before you go unconscious!

I almost always wear neoprene ankle high booties with wool socks, my most comfortable combination when I expect my feet to be wet all day, and I do assume I'll get wet no matter the conditions. They're ankle high so the bootie doesn't fall off when hauling a boat through mud. ... I know, I know, they create a screwy tan line but my feet are below decks anyway :mad::D

I usually wear neoprene gloves, too, mainly to prevent blisters (especially at the beginning of the season) and to help keep my hands warmer in cool weather or water.

I have a strong preference for see-through dry bags. It makes it easier to find stuff. I have a small bag that contains basics that I might want to get to while on the water ... my watch and compass are clearly visible. The other bags with spare gear, clothing and food is in a hatch.

I usually wear a hat, either a wool watch cap, fleece headband or Tilley with a half dozen flies hooked on just in case I decide to take up fishing. Don't forget croakies.

And, I bring a compact umbrella which I fantasize as a spinakker if only I could get a favorable wind ... it always seems against me, outbound and returning. :(

Dry Bag, Dry Sack? Damned if I know ... :confused: ... is this some kind of riddle? ... ah, yes, one's a cow that's been milked, the other a bottle of sherry.

BTW, how do we get a job like this?

Thanks!

I asked the Dry Bag/Sack question because Outdoor Research apparently makes both. Their website distinguishes between the two without ever explaining the difference.

I tend to use alot of my gear across multiple sports (cool max tops, insulating layers) but have some pieces specifically for paddling, hiking, biking and running. I have neoprene booties that I bought when I was scuba diving. I use them with or without wool sox when its cold out. I have a pair of cheap water shoes that i use when its warm. I have a pair of NRS neoprene gloves but again only use those when its cold out. I have a pair of gloves that I used for scuba diving that I use for warm weather/water paddling. I think golves are important to help prevent blisters if you are going to be out paddling for long periods of time. I have a hat with a wide brim with the tail down the back that covers your neck to help prevent sunburn. I have several wetsuits that were bought for different sports. I have a long leg long sleeve suit that I use when its really cold and a short leg farmer john suit for when its not too cold but not too hot. I have a semi dry top made specifically for paddling that I use when its cold. I used to use my precip rain jacket before I bought the dry top. My PFD is a Lotus designed specifically for women and for paddling. It has a pocket on the front to stash a small tube of sunscreen and lip balm. I also have a whistle attached to my vest. I wear my vest no matter how hot it is. My boyfriend is a boatswains mate in the USCG so I depend on him for navigation and having the marine band radio. I should buy one for myself since I paddle alone alot. when it comes to dry bags I have an assortment of sizes. smaller and medium sizes work better than large. i have one larger bag that I use for my sleeping bag. I have a mesh backpack bag (bought for scuba diving) that I take with me on trips. I can put all my gear in this so make it easy to get everything from where the boat is beached to the campsite. I love kayak camping. You can take a small cooler and for at least a day or two have real food. I also carry a tow rope, paddle float and bilge pump. I have a light but have not had to use it. I have put retro tape on my paddle. Have fun. I love to get out on the water early in the morning when its quiet and noone else it around. very relaxing.

In warm weather and warm water, hiking clothes will work fine, but paddling clothes tend to be a tighter fit for freedom of movement while paddling. When the water is cold, some neoprene apparel is recommended to help retain your body's core temperature in case of an accidental capsize and extended immersion. NRS makes a good variety of paddling clothes - NRS Hydrosilk is Spandex, aka a rash guard. NRS Hydroskin is neoprene, which might cause a rash if worn directly against your skin (thus the rash guard clothes). For paddling in warm summer conditions, you can probably do without neoprene unless you'll be off shore or on a cold body of water. Because you'll be wearing a life jacket and paddling (exercising), you probably won't need to wear more than 1 layer unless it's raining. I wear neoprene gloves in cold conditions, and normal fingerless paddling gloves when it's warm. Many people don't wear gloves at all, it's a personal comfort thing. For cold water, I wear high-top neoprene boots, but once the water warms up, I wear water shoes or sandals. All the PFD brands you mentioned are good - just buy one that is comfortable and satisfies your individual needs (pockets, etc.). I wear an Extrasport. Most paddling vests are Type III. Type V life vests are specialized and probably not appropriate for paddling most of the time. http://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/stearns/pfd_lifejackets_guide.shtml
The Kokatat OutFIT Tour looks good, and there are many other similar Type III PFDs available. Backpack-style dry bags are OK for canoe trips, but are big and heavy. I just use a backpack with the important gear in waterproof stuff sacks inside. For kayaking, dry bags will fit below deck better - dry bags and dry sacks are just 2 names for the same type of item. Brand name is not a big deal in those, but like in many things, avoid off-brand and no name products. Finally, have fun! :D

Last edited:
I don't have to much to add as others have nailed it pretty well.
Though I don't wear gloves, I often use poggies, a type of mitten that wraps around your paddle as well.
Neoprene booties or boots year round. If I do make an exception I never wear any footwear with open toes.
I like the dry bag/backpack for portaging, so in that case, I got the largest one I could , it is on the heavy side but I think lighter ones are available. The weight tends to be the same wet or dry.

Just came off the water for 3 days of paddling, I wore a dry suit because of wind whipped waves... also as there were 3 of us I was most available to go in the water for landing and launching in tough spots and help stabilize the other boats in the chop and for off loading.
Another friend wore a wet suit, so kind of 6 of one half the other.

I like the most flexible of dry bags available and make an effort to buy different colors so I can grab them in poor light with out trying to see the contents.

Just bought my 1st bear proof keg and also a Ursula sack...mostly listed to deter bears. I bought them also to keep little critters out, which tend to be more of a nuisance esp. if your using established campsites ( I think Stan can attest to that).

We did buy an inflating type life vest but returned it as it always was pushed up in our face. Others that inflate when they get wet don't work much for paddlers cuz we often get wet as part of the sport.

Think you'll have a lot of fun paddling and it can be as athletic a sport as you like...excellent for wildlife viewing as well...from whales to moose it offers up quite a world of variety.

Last edited:
Just curious what the average water temps are up there during the summer?....Down here by the Long Island sound the kayak club that I joined uses some sort of math equation to figure out what clothes to wear....
Water temp + air temp = (If it's below 110 then they talk about cold weather clothing)...aka wet suits, dry suits....this is for emergencies...will you be paddling with someone or always by yourself?...I would keep some warm stuff to change into in the dry bags for emergencies. I seem to be able to tip over in almost anything :eek:

I hate getting my feet wet when starting, even with neoprene and wool socks, that's when I really become "coldfeet":(

sounds like a great job...have fun!

I have a pair of Chota Mukluks which are 3mm neoprene and great for the cold water launches cause they go up to midcalf on me so I can walk in and launch w/o getting the feet wet. They have a rubberized traction on the bottom that is supposed to be grippy on the wet rocks and stuff..

I sometimes use a pair of EMS paddling gloves, sometimes I don't... Just depends, I use small shaft paddles and don't usually have a problem with blisters..

I generally use bike clothes, with the compliment of paddling specific jackets and drytops. I have a farmer john for the shoulder seasons and I don't go out in winter. I don't own a drysuit.

I use bike clothes for everything and sometimes I'll even wear paddled bike shorts on some of the looooonnnggg paddling days.

Jay

p.s. my PFD a Lotus something or other is a type III device, I think most of the type Vs are kind of bulky, aren't they designed to keep your head above water if unconscious? A type III, if I remember my classifications (I probably don't) isn't supposed to keep an unconscious swimmer's head above water...

Last edited:
p.s. my PFD a Lotus something or other is a type III device, I think most of the type Vs are kind of bulky, aren't they designed to keep your head above water if unconscious? A type III, if I remember my classifications (I probably don't) isn't supposed to keep an unconscious swimmer's head above water...

Based on my research, Type Is and some Type IIs are designed to keep your head above water if unconscious. It's not a requirement of Type Vs, which seem to have very specialized uses. I'll probably go with a Type III.

I'll be working with other people always, and the work is just during the summer. I think I'll invest in some boots and gloves anyways (since I can get them for cheap right now), so I have something to use in colder temperatures in fall. I don't think I'm going to invest in a full dry suit, but maybe a paddling jacket and pants, again, mainly for use in the fall.

Last edited:
and I have an opportunity through my job to pro-deal some paddling gear for cheap that I'd like to take advantage of.

Take FULL advantage of pro-deals. The next best thing is getting the stuff for free. I got my kayak for less than half off through a pro deal. Go crazy.

I didn't read this whole thread yet but yeah...like hiking...no cotton.

And if you can get a dry suit...go for it!

Believe me, I've had access to pro-deals in the past through previous employment opportunities. I know that the deals pretty much can't be beat. :)

Some of the real fun can occur in spring with air temps of 70+F and water temps in the 40s (F)... You have to dress for the cold water (eg a wet suit) and swelter up in the warm air. It is a common practice to "fall" out of one's boat now and then or to pour a bailer full of water down one's neck to cool down.

Doug

Honestly, I wear cotton tops when the air and water temps are warm. Honestly, i wear my bathing suit top when its hot out. I stay much cooler than high tech wicking tops. When temps are high I absolutely swelter in wicking shirts. Lots of sunscreen though.