Paddling destinations in CT/MA?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Hey fellow VFTT paddlers, anybody know any good touring kayak destinations one could recommend for the MA/CT border, not restricted to lakes but also the shore, something one could make a short trip with overnight camping?

LauraM and I had thought of the Quabbin Res but I saw a thread on the AMC board which kind of said you need a fishing license and the areas that are open aren't that large for kayaking.

Then we started thinking of Mystic, CT but I don't know much about them, except for the seaport. Anybody have any good recommedations for a possible 3 day trip or so in the area there?

Jay

I know it doesn't meet your specs but we always had wonderful day trips on the Battenkill in Vermont. I am sure there are possibilities for longer trips.

Ed

Mass DEM maintains a web site, and here is their list of non-motorized boating locations.

In particular, Douglas State Forest's Wallum Lake would probably be a fine destination, and there are campsites there as well.

I would expect you could also paddle on the larger, nearby Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggchaubunagungamaugg (Webster Lake).

MichaelJ said:
Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggchaubunagungamaugg (Webster Lake).

Ehhh???? Just imagine asking for directions!

Thanks folks, I shall have to check out those websites..

Paddling is great now, down here in NJ, I hit a local lake here (Pompton Lake), which is all developed and all that, but I don't care, I just want to get out.. It's quite a big lake, although nowhere near the size of say Lake Hopatcong or Greenwood Lake but it is less than 4 miles from my house and I had the lake all to myself.

I am going to hit Lake Wawayanda today after work and going up to Harriman SP to get a permit tomorrow and do another lake and on Sunday, going to meet a bunch of folks for a paddle at Splitrock Res.

Jay

You might want to try the Housatonic River. I have seen many paddlers both above and below the falls at Bulls Bridge (south of Kent). The section of river from Cornwall Bridge down to the Housatonic Meadows State Park is also very popular.
Housatonic Area Canoe and Kayak Squad
Clarke Outdoors

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggchaubunagungamaugg. I have been there. In the local Nipmuc tongue, very loosely translated "You fish on your side of the lake; I fish on my side; no one fishes the middle." Now the lake is fairly crowded and everybody fishes and paddles everywhere.