PapaBear completes 4 lists!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roy said:
I think PB is the first bottom-up finisher of the NEFF, that is somebody who started the list with over half to go rather than having done 49 before they saw the list. Similarly starting with a goal of the NEHH is unusual, most people do the NH 4K, then the NE 4K (of which they have done over half already), then the NEHH with 2/3 already done.
Hi Roy

I guess I started on the HH while I was still in NH on my AT section hikes (with less than 20 4ks) probably around the same time I thought about doing the 4K lists. I know I did Goose Eye a few days from Gorham heading north. I remember discussing it with Tramper Al on the AMC BB. We talked about doing PatN from from the AT by way of North Twin, but that never came to pass. I remember mistakenly thinking that the Whitecap on the AT was the HH Whitecap till I was enlightened. BTW: the AT Whitecap is a finer mountain. Besides Goose Eye, I recall doing Baldpate and The Horns on those AT section hikes the first (post-retirement) season.

"Leave no stragglers" was known to me as good advice from close to the beginning. Who originated that expression anyway?

Edit: OK, here's the final word on this subject. I checked the dates of my climbs.

The first NE HH I specifically climbed was Goose Eye on September 8, 2002. At that point I had climbed 23 others on the list, all but Stratton being 4ks.

The first NE FF I specifically climbed was Monadnock on October 10, 2003. At that point I had climbed 17 others on the list, all but Greylock being NE HHs.

Last edited:
Hey Papa Bear..a huge congrats, you are an inspiration to us all, when life's excuses try to bog us down, just get moving. set a goal(s) and get it done. I was thinking of you on the 9th and am glad the weather didn't stop you, albeit no view from the infamous Carrigain tower (i have yet to see the view from there as well!!). Now the obvious question...what next?? ctsparrow, sue