Parking for Garfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expat

Reaction score
How is the winter parking for Garfield? I know the fire road is closed for the winter, but is there parking available at the gate? If we go in Feb, is the parking area plowed?

Yes there is a parking area and it is usually plowed.

There's a parking area at the gate on the west side of the Gale River loop road that is usually plowed. If there's a big storm, plowing Rt. 3 gets priority and they get around to the lot when the road is under control. I've taken skis and skied in to trailheads, then stashed the skis. If you do that, note that a major skimobile corridor uses part of the unplowed loop road beyond the gate.

Posted by Waumbek
If you do that, note that a major skimobile corridor uses part of the unplowed loop road beyond the gate.

Just don't make the mistake we did when we snowshoed Garfield and follow the snowmobile trail instead of the road where they split. I recall the snowmobile trail goes right as the road bends to the left. It's been a few years so I might have that backward...anyway that mistake kept us from the summit that day. :(

Thanks to everyone

Thanks for all the great info!

Jim lombard said:
Posted by Waumbek
Just don't make the mistake we did when we snowshoed Garfield and follow the snowmobile trail instead of the road where they split. I recall the snowmobile trail goes right as the road bends to the left. It's been a few years so I might have that backward...anyway that mistake kept us from the summit that day. :(

Yes, that's my sense too. If you go in from the west gate, stay left on the road to reach trailheads.

Not sure if you saw my report on the Trail Conditions page, but I hiked Garfield last week.

trail report

You can park right off of RT. 3 at an AMC self-service paystation, you then have to hike in a bit to get to the actual trailhead though, about a mile so save for the extra time.