Parking passes ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sierra --

It's a toss-up -- pay the fee each time you park in a place that requires one, or get the pass. For two years (of regular hiking), it was cheaper to pay the daily fee, since we weren't parking in fee areas all that much. Now I have a sticker, though I'm still not sure that's the cheaper option for me personally. More of a convenience factor (don't have to make sure I have the cash).

I think you misunderstood me, I dont even pay the day use fee. I think the fee system in the Whites is a joke. I dont even want to debate it, it been beaten to death. There are certain places I avoid as a result but I get by.

I think you misunderstood me, I dont even pay the day use fee. I think the fee system in the Whites is a joke. I dont even want to debate it, it been beaten to death. There are certain places I avoid as a result but I get by.

Ah well. The response is still useful as general info -- most of my 4K hiking didn't require parking in fee areas (though we were dropped off a few times).

Now back to the lightheartedness...

White Mountains are in:

And Parking passes are recognized at all locations except Middle Earth. They don't allow automobiles there. Just walking trees.

As a huge LOTR (book) fan, this gives pause to a thought. I'm sure all of us have had the call of nature while out hiking. If I ever get the opportunity to hike in Middle Earth and nature calls, the last thing I want to hear from the tree is "Um, excuse me...." :D

I actually had to look that up since I wasn't thinking in those terms.
There are probably even more ranges named "White Mountains". Somewhat like "Silver Lake", or "Sand Canyon" or "Black Mountain".

The HPS peakbagging list in Southern CA has no less than 6 Black Mountains.

There are probably even more ranges named "White Mountains". Somewhat like "Silver Lake", or "Sand Canyon" or "Black Mountain".

The HPS peakbagging list in Southern CA has no less than 6 Black Mountains.
Also Redrock Canyon. The White Mountain Pass is not good at any of them.

Sierra --

It's a toss-up -- pay the fee each time you park in a place that requires one, or get the pass. For two years (of regular hiking), it was cheaper to pay the daily fee, since we weren't parking in fee areas all that much. Now I have a sticker, though I'm still not sure that's the cheaper option for me personally. More of a convenience factor (don't have to make sure I have the cash).

Option 3: Adopt a trail. Put in at least 14 hours work. Get "free" WMNF pass. By free I mean no financial cost...you'll pay for it though with blood, sweat, and blowdowns.

Sierra - I understand your point - this comment is just to put out there so people know.

Last edited:
Option 3: Adopt a trail. Put in at least 14 hours work. Get "free" WMNF pass. By free I mean no financial cost...you'll pay for it though with blood, sweat, and blowdowns.

Sierra - I understand your point - this comment is just to put out there so people know.

Good option.