Passaconaway & Whiteface, 2/23/2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
February 23, 2008: Mt. Passaconaway & Mt. Whiteface

Trails: Dicey’s Mill Trail, Rollins Trail, Blueberry Ledges Trail

Hikers: Scoutmaster (Gary), Fitz, Steve, Trail Trotter (Sue), getawaygirl (Amy), MadRiver (Rick), Pedestrian (John Hartford), Whichway (?from Norwick VT)

The plan was to meet at the Ferncroft trailhead lot around 7:30am and start the hike at 8:00am. Some were running a little late, some were running a lot late. We actually headed out around 8:30am. The day was great from the start with moderate temps, very little breeze, cloud cover that generally dissipated before mid-day, and a couple inches of fresh powder. There was another hiker who was there for the hike but she was really running late and suggested we head out without her and she would be along. We never saw her again after leaving the trailhead area. Also taking off not to be seen again, until we reached the summit of Mount Passaconaway were a couple of speedsters in the group – Trail Trotter and MadRiver. We found them later enjoying their Swiss Bobs near the summit of Passaconaway. At the trailhead, Whichway was nowhere to be found, but she had instructed us not to wait for her.

Dicey’s Mill Trail is like a huge ramp that leads to the summit of Mount Passaconaway. The initial couple miles are mild grades, a good warm-up to the day. Then, the trail becomes steeper, and steeper. Eventually we reached the junction with the Rollins Trail. This will be the trail we follow to Whiteface later, after we first visit Passaconaway. At this point we had hiked 3.7 miles and gained 2,200 feet in elevation. The summit of Mount Passaconaway was another .9 miles and 750 feet ahead. At the Rollins Trail junction I noticed there was no sign fresh traffic on the trail. We had quick refreshment, took some pictures, and were off for Mount Passaconaway. This last section is a combination of mild switchbacks and straight up. Eventually, we first came upon Trail Trotter and MadRiver, and then the summit area. We stopped at a viewpoint just below the summit for pictures and then paid a visit to the overgrown summit. While there we met another group of hikers – Kevin Tilton and a couple friends. We said a quick hello and they were gone. Back at the viewpoint we stopped for lunch. Soon, Whichway joined the group. A few minutes later Hikerfast (Bob) stepped into the clearing. There were lots of people hiking Passaconaway under ideal conditions.

When Gary advertised the hike it was for Passaconaway. I let him know my interest also included Whiteface and would probably split from the group to head there too. Not everybody headed for Whiteface, a number of hikers made the u-turn and hiked back to the trailhead lot calling it a hike. We took a roll call and found Trail Trotter, MadRiver, getawaygirl, Pedestrian, Whichway, Fitz, and me planning to also hike to Mount Whiteface – the others were headed out. We decided to get started since there was still more than half of our day ahead of us.

The first portion was just a hike back down the Dicey’s Mill Trail to the Rollins Trail junction. When we arrived we found evidence of another hiker, Carole, had passed through the area. I knew that she planned to hike Whiteface first and continue in our direction. Her note in the snow indicated it was 1:00pm when she came through.

The Rollins Trail is a real test right now. The snow cover is very deep making the packed trail probably six feet higher than usual. This means constant plowing through treetops. I’ve been on bushwhacks that were less unpleasant. The hike to Whiteface is only 2.2 miles and approximately 750 feet but the added “bushwhack” effect made it seem much further. The Rollins Trail has some very tight places, and many of them. The summit of Whiteface is an overgrown area with a small cairn marking the high point. Right now there is more snow than cairn on the summit. We continued along and passed by the junction with the Kate’s Sleeper Trail and then came to Whiteface Ledges.

Here we regrouped and prepared to head down the ledges on Blueberry Ledges Trail. Fitz, Whichway, and I stayed with snowshoes; the others changed to crampons. There is good snow cover on the ledges with a solid consistency that allowed us to descend on snowshoes without problems (in other words no blood). In hindsight, we probably should have made the change. We would have made it down easier and safer with crampons. After clearing the ledges Trail Trotter, MadRiver, and getawaygirl were off on their Swiss Bobs sliding back to the trailhead – as much as they could. Along the way we found a few things that fell from their packs while sliding and brought them out with us.

At the upper junction with the Blueberry Ledges Cutoff we stopped for a quick break. I checked the remaining distance, two miles to the vehicles, and we agreed to pull out the headlights since it would be dark before we made it out.

The final two miles were generally clear sailing with headlights. When we reached the road and field we noticed a completely clear sky full of stars. A couple years back, my first hike with Tom and Atticus ended with the same conditions. With no city lights for competition the clear night sky is a little more beautiful at Ferncroft. It’s a sight I never get tired of seeing. We made the short walk to the trailhead lot, packed our things away, said our goodbyes, and were on our way.

Another excellent day in the mountains.

I posted some pictures from the day.

Straight to the slideshow.

BIGEarl's pictures.

:D

Last edited:
I must have pulled into the lot just after you all started out. No one was on the road or in the lot when I pulled in, although there were maybe a dozen cars there. A woman did head to her car, from the outhouse I presume, as I was getting my boots on but I left without seeing her again. I set out at 8:40. The AMC group must have started about the time you did as I met up with and passed them at the trailhead for Blueberry Ledge.

I got to the Rollins/Dicey Mill junction at 1:00 and saw that the tracks were heading up so knew either your group was still up there, or had descended already, and others had gone up. I took a short break but heard no noises of anyone coming back down. Since the Rollins trail was a workout swimming through snow-covered trees and route finding, I really wasn’t that interested in going up Passaconaway. As I mentioned in my trail condition report it took almost as long to do Rollins as it did to go up Whiteface. I left my note and descended. After a ways down I found there were tracks now descending. But there were even more cars in the lot and out on the road (@2:40) so I figured I had missed you up there.

PS- I especially like the picture of the unboken Rollins trail :D

Nice trail report and great pictures. I must have just missed all of you. I got out of the Kate Sleeper Trail at 4:15 after hiking East Sleeper.

Carole I was the woman in the red truck, getting ready to hike.

It was an awesome day.

carole said:
I must have pulled into the lot just after you all started out. No one was on the road or in the lot when I pulled in, although there were maybe a dozen cars there. A woman did head to her car, from the outhouse I presume, as I was getting my boots on but I left without seeing her again. I set out at 8:40. The AMC group must have started about the time you did as I met up with and passed them at the trailhead for Blueberry Ledge.

I got to the Rollins/Dicey Mill junction at 1:00 and saw that the tracks were heading up so knew either your group was still up there, or had descended already, and others had gone up. I took a short break but heard no noises of anyone coming back down. Since the Rollins trail was a workout swimming through snow-covered trees and route finding, I really wasn’t that interested in going up Passaconaway. As I mentioned in my trail condition report it took almost as long to do Rollins as it did to go up Whiteface. I left my note and descended. After a ways down I found there were tracks now descending. But there were even more cars in the lot and out on the road (@2:40) so I figured I had missed you up there.

PS- I especially like the picture of the unboken Rollins trail :D

Carole,

I knew you had indicated your plan was to hike the loop clockwise. When we came to the Dicey’s Mill – Rollins trails junction I was not surprised to see no tracks. When we returned from Passaconaway and saw your note I concluded you must have burned out on the Rollins Trail and had nothing left for Passaconaway. Other mental notes I made were at the split for the East Side Loop to the Walden Trail. As we passed through going up and down I noticed there were no fresh tracks. We hadn’t seen you but did see your sign-in at the trails junction. It was clear to me that you must have headed out.

I’m a little disappointed that I didn’t get a before and after (before Carole and After Carole ;) ) set of pictures at the trails junction. I wasn’t thinking along those lines at the time.

You did some hard work coming across the Rollins Trail with difficult conditions. There were a couple places where you were hanging over the edge a little :eek: (and I really mean hanging over the edge). Good work! Thanks for doing the hard part. :D

Earl

Great TR :)

I just did this exact loop this afternoon. Rollins trail is a mess. PUDs everywhere and "hat snatcher" spruce lurking around every corner. I'll tell you, all those false summits on Whiteface really makes that section drag on and on and on.

The butt sliding down blueberry ledge trail and the great views today made it all worth while :D

BIGEarl said:
Carole,
When we returned from Passaconaway and saw your note I concluded you must have burned out on the Rollins Trail and had nothing left for Passaconaway...
...I’m a little disappointed that I didn’t get a before and after (before Carole and After Carole ;) ) set of pictures at the trails junction.
Earl

I never really planned to summit Passaconaway. I had hoped to run into the group but going up (if that's where you all were, and I wasn't sure at that point) didn't seem appealing at the junction. My work was done and the ease down the Dicey Mill was pleasant.

I have the 'after Carole' picture. :D

Kevin,

It was good to meet you on the summit of Passaconaway as well. Too bad we were all in such a hurry. I would have enjoyed more of a visit. Next time.

donna said:
Nice trail report and great pictures. I must have just missed all of you. I got out of the Kate Sleeper Trail at 4:15 after hiking East Sleeper.

Carole I was the woman in the red truck, getting ready to hike.

It was an awesome day.
Donna,
We must have just barely missed eachother. I took a couple pictures on the way through the Rollins - Kate's Sleeper junction and the time stamp on the pictures is 4:15pm. We weren't on the ledges for long before heading out and our pace was pretty good heading back to the lot.

Sorry to have missed you. I would have enjoyed seeing you again.

I didn't know you were a Trucker. ;)

marchowes said:
Great TR :)

I just did this exact loop this afternoon. Rollins trail is a mess. PUDs everywhere and "hat snatcher" spruce lurking around every corner. I'll tell you, all those false summits on Whiteface really makes that section drag on and on and on.

The butt sliding down blueberry ledge trail and the great views today made it all worth while :D
Marc,
Great day yesterday I'm sure. Perhaps the best of the season! "PUD's" and "Hat Snatchers" - I love it! The early view to Whiteface from the rim of The Bowl showing a good number of the PUD's doesn't help.

Thanks,
Earl

:D

Last edited:
BIGEarl said:
After clearing the ledges Trail Trotter, MadRiver, and getawaygirl were off on their Swiss Bobs sliding back to the trailhead – as much as they could. Along the way we found a few things that fell from their packs while sliding and brought them out with us.

I don't know if you saw my post on "that other website" but just wanted to make sure I thanked you for retrieving my pole and dropping it off. :eek:

I actually did get the hang of the SwissBob and must agree with Trail Trotter that it sure beats butt sliding! I got a few great luge runs in, and it got really interesting steering as it got dark! :eek:

Thanks, Earl, for your company on another great day!