paw print identification

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMF

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help with id of this paw print. We were hiking out of a campsite where we had spent a couple of days, in which time we saw one other group that had no animals. Anyone hiking the trail to this point would have come past our camp. Hope the picture is attached - my first shot at this.

amf

pawprint.jpg

Wondering if anyone can help with id of this paw print. We were hiking out of a campsite where we had spent a couple of days, in which time we saw one other group that had no animals. Anyone hiking the trail to this point would have come past our camp. Hope the picture is attached - my first shot at this.

amf

View attachment 3880
1]Siberian tiger 2]bigfoot 3]somebodys lost yak?;)

Print

Good job putting something in for scale. Say the tip of the hiking pole is 2-2.5" then the print would be roughly the same size. I'd say definitely canid, maybe coyote, maybe dog.

KDT

Thanks for the replies... as much as I didn't think it was dog, it certainly is leaning that way. I've never seen coyote in the area, and places where I do I usually find abundant coyote scat which I had not seen here.

amf

Pads in coyote tracks would tend to appear much "tighter". This might change due to the substrate, like if due to mud, the pads became splayed, but I still don't think they would appear this widely spaced. Domestic dog, as it is definitely canid.