Peak Above the Nubble

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill bowden

Reaction score
I'm taking a group to the world famous peak above the nubble saturday; last did it about ten years ago. wonder if there is any recent information of value?

I enjoyed the route from the gate at the end of the forest road coming up from the Gale River Loop Road.

My notes: Follow the logging road to the clear cut, when the road takes a sharp left turn, follow a herd path off to the right, over a couple streams and up to the base of the Nubble/Haystack. Wonderful view from on top of Haystack. Follow herd paths up the ridge from there to a campsite with two moose antlers hanging from trees, and eventually bear to your right to join up with the slide. Be especially careful on the slide if it is wet! At the top of the slide it splits in two. Take the strip of solid ground in the middle, and it will lead you through relatively easy stuff to the ridge, although there isn't much of a herd path. The cannister is on a blowdown that is just about horizontal. Took me 90 minutes car-to-jar, but I didn't stop on Haystack and I got unnecessarily caught in some thick stuff just before I got on the slide. On the other hand, I had a fine dry day, so depending on weather, climbing fitness, and luck with route finding it might take you a bit longer. Good luck!

Last edited:
I followed Frodo’s Winter 2005 directions from the Seven Dwarfs Motel.

Cross on the bridge which goes through a trashy site with a fireplace (if memory serves) to that dirt road which leads to the North Twin Trail, turn right for a short distance, then sharp left onto a fork. Turn right onto a logging road which leads to a clearing and apparently heads for a ridge, but turn left well before the ridge and cross the clearing and continue climbing up into the woods. After one patch of spruce, I came to the herd path on the false summit, which led right to the canister. Going down, I went too far right, and had to backtrack a bit to get around a steep drop, then found my line and went right back to the clearing.

There are a few photos down this page.

bobandgeri

Thanks very much, this is the route I had planned to follow. Love the maps, what was the source. My NH topos don't have 304A on them and have little river road stopping at the reservoir (or however it is spelled). thanks also to Raymond and albee. the route up the check-marked slide is one I've thought about trying, but not this time.

Bill - we use Maptech's Terrain Navigator Pro and the maps that come with it. Back in 2004 we approached PaTN from Haystack mountain and went up to the West of the slide - very very thick spruce. On our return we headed East from the summit a bit before heading down and ended up near the bottom of the slide. I believe their is very thick spruce at the top of the slide , but getting to the slide from Haystack would be fairly easy.

Bill -
As for the slides on PAtN, you don't want to take the checkmark slide. It's suicide... slicker than 10 W 40. If you take a slide route up, take the one on PAtN's northwest side, actually a rocky, enlarged creek channel. Albee's directions are correct. After nearly killing myself on the checkmark four years ago, I found the skinny slide on the northwest flank a piece o' cake. Best route up in my opinion.
jt

I just like to climb the Nubble on the unofficial trail and then continue up to the higher peak (then we descened the big trouble nubble trail--oops).
Why not get two great views? The trail to the Nubble starts about two miles down the road just before the first brook culvert. Park in the left spot and cross the road to gated snowmobile road. This road is on the new AMC map. But don't continue down to 5 corners. Bear left instead at a V and soon take a left on a lightly used old road. Very soon take a right on a visible trail.
The Nubble itself is a great hike. Don't miss it.