Peak Fall Foliage Predictions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
Okay, humor me . . .
I know it is just barely spring right now and talking about Fall and foliage seems a bit nuts but here goes.

If you were planning a hike/camping trip/event and wanted to time it around peak Fall foliage in the

Southern NH/Lakes region and/or
White Mountains region of NH and/or
Western MA (Greylock area)

but had to choose the weekend way ahead of time, which of the following dates do you think would be the best bet for such a peak foliage weekend.

Sep 27
Oct 4
Oct 11
Oct 18

I am guessing the September date would be the best bet for the Whites and the first 2 October dates for Southern NH and the last October date for Western MA . . .

Would you all agree with me? Anyone know of a good website that lists the peak foliage for the past 10 years or so as a good point of reference?
Thanks for the help.

sli74

Here is the best online resource I know of for foliage reports, for the entire Northeast, 1999 to present: http://www.foliagenetwork.com/reports/northeast_us/ The tourism departments of the New England states have their own foliage reports.

Peak in the Whites:
2006 - about Oct 5th
2005 - about Oct 15th
2004 - about Oct 10th
2003 - about Oct 10th
2002 - about Oct 19th
2001 - about Oct 12th
2000 - about Oct 10th
1999 - about Oct 12th

Oct 11 is probably the best date, But you might want to pick Oct 4th to be on the safe side. Of course, the the Whites are in moderate to high color in late September, so being a little early is okay, too.

This thread is evil. We spend 9 months waiting for warm sunny weather and finally get some, the leaves are not even on the trees and you want to know when they will be changing ? :mad: :confused: ;)

I like this web page, just apply the same elevations to NH should get you close.
http://www.foliage-vermont.com/
As a veteran hiker you should know this is very elevation dependent as well as other factors already mentioned.

Historically, it seems like Columbus day weekend is optimal for the Whites, so Southern NH or West MA would be the following weekend or two.

I agree that Columbus Day is usually right around the best time to see great colors in the whites. As for southern NH, it can vary quite a lot, from the monadnock region to the coast. The Monadnocks would be prob just after Columbus Day, and the rest of southern NH normally peaks towards the end of the month, with residual color lasting into November, esp along the coast. I'm not sure about the Berkshires, but its prob similiar to the southern Greens for foliage. Thats all I know. :)

grouseking

Agree you are sick woman for the post, but I'm surprised by the replies.

I've been heading up to the ADK High Peaks for fall weekends for 25+ years. We used to go on Columbus Day w/end for years but ended up changing for a number of reasons (crowds due to CDN Thanksgiving being a key one).

On Columbus Day w/ends it was hard to judge the weather -- we saw 80 degree stuff and more regularly saw frost and some snow. Foliage for these weekends we most often past Red... with yellows and oranges predominent.

Changing to earlier weekends found more Reds in the woods and more reliable fall weather (warm with comfortable cool afternoon/ evenings). Generally, seem to be brighter, sunnier days.

So I guess I was surprised from your initial post that you started your list so late and got later. I'd be afraid I'd miss everything in the ADK's waiting that long.

Oct 4 and Oct 11. Just go on Webshots and search for White Mountain foliage shots. The closer you get to the larger lakes, you can count a bit later foliage (i.e. Stowe is best around the 12th-17th)

BTW, it will snow on November 11th. I figure that was your next question.