Peakbagging Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the Camel's Hump hike, I'll second elhefe007a's suggestion. That's the way we did it for my 115th and it was great.

I think DeLorme or somebody publishes some pamphlet-sized trail maps. Maybe it's Jimapco, I'm not sure. They're probably available in general stores.

Peakbagr said:
I love Vt.
Although you got off to a little rocky start, it was a fun thread.
Peakbagr

It did feel a little rocky at first, but

spaddock said:
This thread sidetracked my whole day.

amen shayne! My whole morning was enlightened by enjoying this thread and being so happy to live and hike where I do. And to have people to share it with in person sometimes and in cyberspace whenever I'm stuck inside.

Pete-when you're riding through VT and need anything let me know. I'm in the Springfield area (exit 7 off I-91) Don't forget to stop at King Arthur Flour in Norwich, VT for some really good bread!

Sherpa John said:
So... by no means did I mean to make it sound like I was dissing VT as a whole.. I just meant.. I wish to BAG the list and get it done because once it is complete, I can again venture into the wilds of all of these great states in search of more beauty WITH and WITHOUT views.

And SJ, definitely no harm no foul. I didn't feel good about the words you used, but I totally hear what you're sayin'. :)

A great thread, a great day, finished it at McNeills with some cask conditioned Dead Horse IPA. For a hump day, this was darn near perfect. In good old VT tradition...Peace, everybody.

Very interesting thread to which I'll throw in a few words about the much maligned Day hikers Guide To VT. Granted it has its faults primarily the vague trail head directions, however, this is not a constant. some trail head directions are right on. I have had difficulty finding a few but I managed. I have the 95 edition and it leaves out a lot of summits that I thought should be included but there is plenty there. A friend bought the most recent edition which seems greatly improved though I have not examined it closely it appears to have addressed most of the major complaints. Vermont has a considerable number of worthy hikes that are not on any list. And I keep finding new ones to climb. It is nice when you find an open summit and there is no crowd around.

Last edited:
bobandgeri said:
Here is a online webpage for Vermont Swimming Holes that provides locations and descriptions including which ones are clothing optional. Can promise that it is 100% accurate, but the ones we visited were excellant.

That's quite a site. Buttermilk Falls is a good place to go after hiking Okemo.

And there are at least 4 good spots on Twenty Mile Stream. One on Heald Road (under the bridge), 2 on Davis Road (one by the bridge, one about halfway) and 1 on Whitesville Road. All are in Cavendish, and the one by the bridge on Davis Road is merely cold, while the other 3 are absolutely frigid. There may be other spots too, but that's as far as I ever went on my bike when I was a kid.

Sweet Jesus, I can't wait until the Fall Gathering!
I respectfully request than any who added to this thread please attend! I need someone to get me on the best hikes, to the best swimming holes, over to Ben and Jerry's, find me the best brews, and get me safely tucked in for day 2! :D :eek: :cool:

Seriously.

Well, after all this Vermont talking earlier this week, we had to go there hiking today. Was planning on Blue Ridge near Rutland, but a late start had us changing to an old standby - Ascutney by way of the Brownsville Trail.

Rugger said:
Well, after all this Vermont talking earlier this week, we had to go there hiking today. Was planning on Blue Ridge near Rutland, but a late start had us changing to an old standby - Ascutney by way of the Brownsville Trail.

Blue Ridge is a nice hike I did that about ten days ago.

This has been an interesting thread. I have lived in southern Vermont 2 years now after 30 years living in New York and hiking mostly the High Peaks. It has taken me awhile to make the adjustment, but I have been appreciating the differences. The hiking is more trail hiking and lends itself to great thru hiking more than peak bagging. It would be more typical in the Adirondaks to pitch a tent and hike up different mountains over a few days and I have not found that here. It is great having the AT ten minutes from my door. Many of the AT thru hikers I meet say Vermont is the muddiest state they hike through, but I guess we should expect to get our shoes dirty when we hike. I have also enjoyed exploring the state, and finding places the the area around Somerset Reservoir. It does seem that Vermont made a decision long ago as part of preserving its uniquely Vermont economy and culture, to exploit the mountains more than other states. So many of the mountains have those stripes cut out of them for ski resorts. It is an awesome state and the beer is great. Now I just have to try the swimming holes.

Last edited: