Penny Wood stove

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Heineken can was a 24 oz. can, and I did drink it first.:rolleyes::D
:cool:

Well I guess I have to go out and buy a "few" cans of Heineken this weekend. :D

Just in case I mess up the design and need backups. :)

Do you get soot or smoke taste in the water much? I could see putting a small tin foil pot lid on the can.

Last edited:
excellent idea! I didn't make a lid.....but I will. I didn't drink the water after boiling it so I can't say if it tasted sooty.

I did notice if I let the fire get hot first, and then put the pot on, that the smoke/soot was greatly reduced compared to if I put the pot on immediately after lighting the fire.

excellent idea! I didn't make a lid.....but I will. I didn't drink the water after boiling it so I can't say if it tasted sooty.

I did notice if I let the fire get hot first, and then put the pot on, that the smoke/soot was greatly reduced compared to if I put the pot on immediately after lighting the fire.

I bet more ventalitation holes would make a cleaner, hoter, burn as well as using real dry wood.

I'll be tinkering with it. If I was the scientific type I might be able to calculate the exact amount of ventalitation this stove would need to balance out smoke/soot, fuel economy and max heat. I guess I'll have to drink a lot of Heineken while I work through this by trial and error.

Darn it.

I couldn't cut the top off with my can opener. You must be using an opener that cuts fron the side?

Oh darn I have to empty another can...;)

The lip on the can is too deep for my opener to cut down to it. I'll try another soon but I'll need a few more empties for that.;)

The can openers that make the triangle hole I call a church keys. :cool::D

Last edited:
pennystove

Thank you Jason for putting up this info- just what I was looking for! I can't wait to try it!

I have/made a few. Works well. Same basic design. One can inside of the other. I drill the holes with a 1/4 inch bit and use a church key around the bottom. A little hardware cloth folded up on the bottom for draft and steel tent stakes. Boils a qt of water easy in ten min for coffee and oatmeal and I can start a second pot of water to almost boil before it burns out. Knock out the ashes and start it again if you need more water. I keep a small supply of fuel dry with the stove incase I can't find any dry stuff. :cool:

The foster stove is a new one for me. I'll give it a try. I just happen to have a few empties in the garage. :rolleyes:

After looking at this some more, the foster can on the out side with a tight fitting can inside would make a good insulation jacket and preheat air well. If air flow is good there may be very little soot.

Last edited: