Perseid Meteor Shower peaks this week

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewKnight

Reaction score
The 2009 Perseid meteor shower runs from July 27th to August 24th -- but it peaks this week, and likely tonight (July 12th).

If you have a chance, get out and have a look... New Hampshire weather doesn't look great for viewing tonight, but will be better tomorrow and beyond. Enjoy!

The 2009 Perseid meteor shower runs from July 27th to August 24th -- but it peaks this week, and likely tonight (July 12th).

If you have a chance, get out and have a look... New Hampshire weather doesn't look great for viewing tonight, but will be better tomorrow and beyond. Enjoy!
Prior thread: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31605

My sources suggested the viewing peak was last night (11th-12th). They also suggested the (non-viewing) peak would be about mid-day on the 12th. I have listened a bit on the 6M (50Mhz) ham band for radio signals reflected from the meteor trails (which are unaffected by the time of day), but haven't heard anything so far.

Also looked though a hole in the clouds ~1am last night with no luck.

Doug

Thanks, Doug... I defer to your sources... will still hold out hope that clearer skies and my ability to be outside late at night will coincide with the "long tail" of the event.

Cheers...

Thanks, Doug... I defer to your sources... will still hold out hope that clearer skies and my ability to be outside late at night will coincide with the "long tail" of the event.

Cheers...
You can expect to see at least some activity over a 3-4 day period. Also, there is another very 'broad' meteor shower that lasts 4-5 weeks from Mid-July thru Mid-August, called the Delta Aquariids. They almost look like background noise, but you will see a few good ones shooting up from the South.

Last edited: